What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick Magneto Wiring Order

Can someone tell me the spark plug/cyl order on the aft end of the magneto. I have an O-320 D2A with dual Slick mags. I understand there is a number and position stamp on the connector that attaches to the spark plug. However, if I follow (assuming this is correct) that the left mag (when sitting in the pilot seat) attaches to the top position on #2 and #4, and the bottom of #1 and #3. Also, the right mag attaches to the top of #1 and #3, and the bottom of #2 and #4.
One problem is if I look at the stamped number/position indicator then place that particular cap on the appropriate mag, the wires aren't long enough.
I understand the spark plug doesn't care what the stamp is, as long as it comes from the correct position on the correct mag.
They will fit fine if I don't follow the stamped number/position indicator.
Iplan to call Aero Sport tomorrow and discuss this with them.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Might try switching them (L & R) and see if the wires fit. My Slicks fit just fine on my O-320-E2A. Can't see where it would hurt if the mags were switched left to right.

What about impulse coupling??

Food for thought: swapping mags L to R could be a problem on start-up if you have an impulse coupling and you don't make a matching change to your ignition switch. There are others on this board that are better versed in the details on this, but I think it is an issue to at least look into further before trying the swap.

HERE....

Larry Brons said:
Can someone tell me the spark plug/cyl order on the aft end of the magneto. I have an O-320 D2A with dual Slick mags. I understand there is a number and position stamp on the connector that attaches to the spark plug. However, if I follow (assuming this is correct) that the left mag (when sitting in the pilot seat) attaches to the top position on #2 and #4, and the bottom of #1 and #3. Also, the right mag attaches to the top of #1 and #3, and the bottom of #2 and #4.
One problem is if I look at the stamped number/position indicator then place that particular cap on the appropriate mag, the wires aren't long enough.
I understand the spark plug doesn't care what the stamp is, as long as it comes from the correct position on the correct mag.
They will fit fine if I don't follow the stamped number/position indicator.
Iplan to call Aero Sport tomorrow and discuss this with them.
slickwireing002ya2.jpg

OR HERE....

Larry Brons said:
Can someone tell me the spark plug/cyl order on the aft end of the magneto. One problem is if I look at the stamped number/position indicator then place that particular cap on the appropriate mag, the wires aren't long enough.
I will call Aero Sport tomorrow and discuss this with them.
slickwireing001kb4.jpg

Warren.... :D

Thanks for all of the replies. After speaking with Scott at Aero Sport, it seems the harnesses were assembled opposite. No problem, I made a tag to explain that for future reference. The Aero Sport folks are awesome. Their customer service is outstanding.

New Experimental Lycoming O360-A1A Slick Mag Wiring?

I am checking over and tying down the ignition harness on my new Lycoming Experimental YO-360-A1A and noted that the plug leads are not connected to the Slick Magnetos as per either of the diagrams above or the LD-4313-1 Lycoming drawing that came with the engine.

The Upper #1 lead connects to the lower right side of the right mag and Upper #3 to the upper right side of the right mag. All the drawings I've seen place both of these leads on the top of the mag as you face forward. This sequence is continued around all of the other six leads and it looks as if the magnetos, or at least the lead sequence has been rotated 90 deg clockwise as you face forward.

The engine was run before delivery so I presume it will work - unless the test run was with a different ignition system.

Does anyone have any experience or comments on this for these new Van's bought Lycomings?

(I have a December 1974 edition of the Lycoming 60294-7 Overhaul Manual for Direct Drive Engine so probably doesn't cover the new roller follower engines.)

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring

MY O360 FROM VAN'S is wired just like yours.........
#1 marked on the cap is in the same location as you say. But not like the pic's above. But as you can see, the fireing order is the same as the pic's above. But do check the mag timing and fireing order before your first start.

MY O360 FROM VAN'S is wired just like yours.........
#1 marked on the cap is in the same location as you say. But not like the pic's above. But as you can see, the fireing order is the same as the pic's above. But do check the mag timing and fireing order before your first start.

Thanks - That's good to know.
Jim

many options....

I am checking over and tying down the ignition harness on my new Lycoming Experimental YO-360-A1A and noted that the plug leads are not connected to the Slick Magnetos as per either of the diagrams above or the LD-4313-1 Lycoming drawing that came with the engine.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring

Jim,
... there appear to be many more variations of the plug layouts and wire lengths than Lycoming shows. Since the baffles are specified by the airframe manufacturer, the routing, and thus wire lengths can vary quite widely.

A check of the Aero-Lite web site shows seven harnesses for an O-320.

A few for the O-360, but many more if it's an IO-360....

http://www.skytronicsinc.com/avco_lycoming_engines.htm

gil A

Jim,
... there appear to be many more variations of the plug layouts and wire lengths than Lycoming shows. Since the baffles are specified by the airframe manufacturer, the routing, and thus wire lengths can vary quite widely.

A check of the Aero-Lite web site shows seven harnesses for an O-320.

A few for the O-360, but many more if it's an IO-360....

http://www.skytronicsinc.com/avco_lycoming_engines.htm

gil A

Thanks Gil,

It looks like the #1 position on the mags that I have is rotated clockwise by one position compared with the typical, or perhaps just older ones shown in the manual. They are Slick 4373 (left) and 4370 (right).

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks Gil,

It looks like the #1 position on the mags that I have is rotated clockwise by one position compared with the typical, or perhaps just older ones shown in the manual. They are Slick 4373 (left) and 4370 (right).

Jim

Jim - as you know, I've got the same issue on another post right now. Another trip out to the shop, this time with a mirror and looked at the back of the mag (it's a Unison). Darn thing is turned 90 degrees. Cylinder #1 is stamped on the back of the mag. Wires are correct and we have the same issues. The manual does not correspond with orientation of the wire cap. You can bet your bottom dollar that I will make my own little drawing.

Mystery solved.
Webb

Ignition plug wiring

OK, I missed it!

I decided to verify, from your suggestions to see if I missed something. I found out the apark plug wires ARE embossed, on the silver nut that attaches to the spark plugs. They are marked (T1, T2, T3, and T4) means Top plugs, and (B1, B2, B3, and B4) for the Bottom plugs. I was looking on the wire ends for a cylinder location. Not too bright! But now that I know, it is logical and I did have them correct from the picture in the Superior manual.

In following the wires back to the mag's, it turns out that both mag's turn counter clockwise as seen from the aft end of the engine (cockpit). Part of the confusion was that I was told by a gentelman who is in an aircraft school to get his AI license, that one mag turns one way and the other turns the opposite way. That was wrong information. I am happy I verified with you guys.

Also I looked in my Superior manual and could not find a good picture of the drive train that turns the mag. gears to verify which direction the mag's turn.

I very much appreciate all of your help in this. I was not going to let this go until I knew I had it right and now I know I do. Turns out to be simple! Of course most things are in retrospect.

Thank you all for your help.

Part of the confusion was that I was told by a gentelman who is in an aircraft school to get his AI license, that one mag turns one way and the other turns the opposite way. That was wrong information. I am happy I verified with you guys.

On some engines they do this very thing, some they don't.

Glad you got it resolved!

Back