What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Sun-N-Fun AFS Reports

GrayHawk

Well Known Member
I understand that AFS showing a moving map capability for their EFIS at Sun-N-Fun. Did anyone happen to get photos or information they could share.

Thanks,

Yes, they showed it. They're still working on it.. still got some details to hammer out. It'll be a $750 option... software only. You'll just have to provide and hook up a GPS (just about any kind will do). Map updates will be on subscription.. a number I got was about 100 a year. I may have a pic of it somewhere.. I'll look.

Not only did they have a moving map but they also stated that they were working on a WX package as well, I left on Friday but they said they might have the update later that day. Looks like they are continually updating there product and looking to add many useful features. The new GRT display is really nice but I still like AFS the best.

woo-hoo!

Thanks for posting the photo, it is awesome. I'm 2+ years from the panel, but I'm planning for a single screen AFS with some backups. Great job Rob - keep moving it forward!

the_other_dougreeves said:
Nice photo!

Thanks. It is actually my photo that I posted on the RV-10 list. This RV community is great. :D

The AFS system is evolving quickly and the graphics are fantastic. I am reworking my panel to add the 3500 with moving map and weather.

Larry Rosen
RV-10 #356

Not Right

You guys are going to cause me to adopt a wintertime panel redo...that's just not right. Quit tempting me like that. I have less than 100 hrs on this airplane and already I'm starting to fantasize about a new panel like this...

AFS Sun-n-Fun Report

We are all back from Sun-n-Fun and operating at full speed. We had a number of customers fly in with our new EFIS systems and one actually had a very interesting flight. On his way down to Sun-n-Fun in a newly finished RV-10 he entered an area of rain showers and then lost his pitot system. Apparently, some mud-dabbers had decided that the pitot tube would make a good new home and the rain loosened the mud, plugging the pitot tube. Fortunately, our Crossbow AHRS does not require airspeed aiding for an accurate attitude solution and worked perfectly throughout the flight.

We are very pleased with the customer response to our new moving map, and after actually flying the map in the RV, it really works great. With the Airspeed and Altitude Tapes right on the Map and the Engine Monitor on the bottom of the screen, I find that I use the map page most of the time. Currently we have Public and Private airports, State lines, Airspace, and towers and obstructions displayed on the very large screen.

I will get some map pictures up on the web site this week

Sincerely,

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc
RV-4 N401RH & RV-10 Under Construction

We are currently testing our 429 interface and should be shipping them before Oshkosh.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

429 Interface -- Awesome!

Rob you're making it very tough on me. Frankly, I'm astounded by your rate of improvement with this product relative to your competition.

-Rick

N401RH said:
We are currently testing our 429 interface and should be shipping them before Oshkosh.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
Woo, I'm intrigued. With this I may have to once again consider the AFS system. The lack of a TRUE HSI from the Nav radio (GNS-430/480) was what made me not consider it previously. The HSI presentation around the AI circle is especially cleaver-definately worthy of a patent you are seeking.

AltonD said:
Clue me in. What is the 429 interface used for?
ARINC. An avionics data bus. With this, an EFIS in this case can receive data such as flight plan management, Air-Data, Radio, etc via this bus rather than via discrete analog connections. Basically, the HSI function that is available on the AFS now only with the SL-30 via the RS-232, *should* be available from ANY Nav radio with an ARINC429 I/O port.

Updating a Panel

To all:

I have a RV-6 13 yrs old --- 1320 hrs. It's time...... for a panel
makeover. Rob Hickman said my delivery is about two weeks out (been
waiting for over 4 months now) I've gutted out the entire fuselage,
old wiring and starting over with glass. I'm going with the AVMap-IV....
bigger display, plus the AVMap people are growing that system to
a excellent GPS system. Sure, Garmin is great, but AVMap is a good
choice considering feathers and price........ and SIZE.

Cheers,

PinkFlamingo - Houston

Or more specifically, so the VOR/LOC side of the 430/530 (or other NAV radio) can talk to an HSI. The GPS side of a 430 is 90% supportable with a serial connection.

N401RH said:

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
Rob,

I have a question that I could not determine from your website.

AFS-EFIS-Main_100.jpg

If you purchased an AF-34/3500EM;

AFS-EFIS-W&B_100.jpg

and a AF-34/3500EF,

can the units be *tied* together so that you can display any (EFIS or Engine) information on either?
What is the connection between the between the units?
If so, how many units can be tied together?
Also, is there any critical data on the SD Card that, if removed, would prevent the unit from operating?

Another question

Rob, since this seems to be headed off to a question session, I have one for you.

I really love the weight and balance program in my buddy's 3500 unit. Is there any chance of you selling just the program so it can be used on a home computer, or a palm pilot??

I suspect that any pilot who sees this in action will want one of their own.

Mike

w1curtis said:
can the units be *tied* together so that you can display any (EFIS or Engine) information on either?
What is the connection between the between the units?
I'm sure Rob will chime in here, but in the meantime... I spent some time at his booth at OSH last year while he demo'ed the connectivity features of the units. It is my understanding that as long as one unit has the EFIS brains, and the other has the EM brains, the information can be swapped and displayed on either. The connection between them is made using a your standard Cat-5 Network Cable. Click-Click and your connected. Pretty slick if you ask me.

1. Multiple Screens
If you connect two screens together any of the data can be shared between the screens. We use an Ethernet cable to connect them. You can display EFIS data on the Engine Monitor and Engine Monitor data on the EFIS.

We also send any serial Nav data (GPS, SL30, ARINK) across the Ethernet so that both screens can use it.

2. SD Card
The EFIS and Engine Monitor will run without the SD card. The new Map system uses the SD card for its database.

3. Operating System
The System does not use Windows CE, Linux, or pC/OS. We wrote all of the drivers, including the Ethernet code. We do use a small file system for some of the data. Our original Engine Monitor did not use any OS or file system and we found that when we added the advanced features and SD Card it was necessary to add it.

4. Sorry, the Weight and Balance program will not run on a PC.

Sorry for the delay, I was out conducting "the latest research into human factors testing" in the RV-4 :rolleyes:

Sincerely,

Rob Hickman
RV-4 N401RH

Last edited:
Rob,

This is great, I look forward to the release of the ARINC 429 interface. I'm thinking of a panel like below, where the left unit would be an AF-3500EF and the right unit would be a AF-3500EM.

10Panel09a.jpg

N401RH said:
Sorry, the Weight and Balance program will not run on a PC.
Sincerely, Rob Hickman RV-4 N401RH

I was afraid of that-----------I have played with the W/B in my buddy's 10, and it is something I just cant get enough of.

That and the fact the screen is big enough to actually be readable.

Mike

So, am I correctly understanding the AFS-3500 capabilities from a previous message in this thread: "If you connect two screens together any of the data can be shared between the screens. We use an Ethernet cable to connect them. You can display EFIS data on the Engine Monitor and Engine Monitor data on the EFIS."

Can I install a 3500-EF and a 3500-EM and get the equivalent of installing two 3500-EE units?

I'm assuming the only negative would be if one unit failed, you would lose the funcationality on both displays for which data is being supplied by the failed unit. So for total redundency, you would need to install two 3500-EE units. Although have two engine monitors is probably not required or easily implmented.

rleffler said:
I'm assuming the only negative would be if one unit failed, you would lose the funcationality on both displays for which data is being supplied by the failed unit. So for total redundency, you would need to install two 3500-EE units. Although have two engine monitors is probably not required or easily implmented.
Engine monitor redundancy would probably cause more problems that it solved but I guess if you wanted full EFIS redundancy, you would install one EE (combination) and one EF (EFIS only) unit. In my case with an EF and an EM, I would rely on the steam gauges and Garmin navigators if the EFIS should fail. The nice thing about this architecture is that it should suit various "comfort" levels.

William is exactly right, you?re hired when can you start?
For a dual screen redundant system you get an EE and an EF.
If you have an EF Efis and EM Engine Monitor you can swap screens.

Sincerely,

Rob Hickman

where does the AF-3500 get Wx data?

Hi Rob - I can't find the picture right now but I recall that at SnF you showed a moving map with what looked like XM satellite weather displayed.

When this becomes available, what will be the source of the Wx data? Internal receiver? External receiver? Hookup to 496?

Thanks for developing such a great product... I can't wait to buy one!

dave

We are using XM for the weather. I wish we could get the weather data from the Garmin 396.

Rob Hickman
N401RH RV-4

a smart antenna??

Rob - thanks for the reply. Do you have an internal XM receiver or are you using something like a Garmin GXM 30A "Smart Antenna" (click here )

I think this thing is more than an antenna, it looks like it is the whole XM receiver, including the modem and a USB interface. Seems cool, but $500 is a lot.

Thanks, I love learning about avionics!

dave

The Garmin XM Antenna is proprietary and we can?t use it. We use the XM receiver and add our own weather computer to it.

Rob Hickman
N401RH RV-4

Rob,

You are really making the EFIS selection harder and harder! :eek: Great work.

I've got some questions that may or may not have been answered previously. If they have I apologize in advance. :D

In a dual AHRS install, do you have any type of Comparator check? In other words, if there is an Airspeed/Alt./Att. disagreement do we get a flag of any type?

XM: Are you using a GDL69 or your own receiver? Any options for music output, preferably a stereo output separate from the Unswitched Warning output? Any idea on hardware price for the XM box (if not a GDL69)?

Plans for GPS Vertical Steering, again... if its not already there? It would be beyond awesome to be able to drive an autopilot with either ASI hold, or VS with ALT preselect. With that in mind a Low IAS default override, so if a certain VS caused Airspeed to go low the VGPS would switch modes.

I know some of these are getting in to the super advanced, do I really need this type of options... BUT You seem to have so many other features that no one else has.

Thanks in Advance (no pun intended!) :D

Back