What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't Forget Your Backups!!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
OK, I'm not going to tell you how I did it, but I managed to leave the power on my EFIS over night, and drained the airplane's battery.....(me, the guy who says "who needs a "master nag", how could you ever leave with the EFIS powered up!".....well, I guess that you get so used to seeing the screens, you forget that they need to power off or something....).

So, after charging up the battery, I powered up the systems, and one of my GRT DU's gave me a message about corrupted software..."Please insert USB drive with software". No problem (frustrating, but no problem), I always carry a thumb drive with the software. After a few power cycles, it reloaded, and I was on my way...ALMOST. It, of course, was a fresh load, with none of my configurations stored! For those of you who have configured a GRT, you know that it takes a little fiddling to get everything talking - you only have to do it once, but it takes a couple hours. At least, you HOPE you only have to do it once!

Of course, my cheat sheet with the configs was at home, not in the airplane. Hunting and pecking for a few minutes got me nowhere. And then I remembered that I had saved the configuration to the thumb drive a couple months ago!

Put the drive back in the USB port, went to the "Setup, Display Unit, Save Config, RESTORE" spot, pushed the button, and I was winging my way with everything back up in a few minutes. :D

Lesson? Backups are not just for PC's! If you have a GRT Horizon or Sport and you ave it configured for your airplane, do yourself a favor and back up your config TODAY! It might be doing me a favor as well...I get quite a few emails and phone calls helping folks get their systems up, and I'd hate to get "repeat business".... ;)

"Save Early, Save Often"

Paul

Last edited:
Leave the lights on

Even with my Cessna which had a noisy electric gyro I still sometimes left the master on. What saved me was that I leave the strobes on (no beacon, you see). That way I'm legal before starting. Master Nag for free. It's even more valuable as a habit with a no-vacuum setup on the 7A . And yes, backups for the GRT are a darn good idea!

The low voltage annunciator light, sold by Van's, flashes bright red for 30 seconds, if the master is not turned off, before going solid red. It's rather noticeable! :)

L.Adamson

L.Adamson said:
The low voltage annunciator light, sold by Van's, flashes bright red for 30 seconds, if the master is not turned off, before going solid red. It's rather noticeable! :)
L.Adamson

Well, the thread really isn't about "how not to forget your power is on..." I mean, with the EFIS panels lit up, it's virtually impossible to miss them, right? :rolleyes:

I was really trying to point out that the GRT software allows you to back up the config - something I hadn't done for almost a year of flying, and then, serendipitously, did a month or so ago....

Back