What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Blue Angel Down in SC

TSwezey

Well Known Member
I was going to go Beaufort for the Air Show today but decided to postpone until tomorrow. But Blue Angel #6 went down just off to the west of the Marine Corps base. Apparently the pilot was killed and nobody knows about the ground injuries.

WHere did you get the info.

Todd:

I cannot find anything concerning this on the local tube or on the net.

CNN, Fox News, Headline News all have it. I could see the smoke earlier while driving home. How was Sun-N-Fun?

Update

#6 hit power lines, two possible three houses damaged just outside the MCAS. Aviator confirmed down and departed by local authorities. I planned to go tomorrow and to Vidalia next Sunday. I have not seen a report, but I would guess that those shows will be without the Navy's Flight Demonstration Team.

These guys are the best and do a great job. Our prayers should be with the family of the unfortunate soul, the team and the Navy. God bless him.

Here's a link to the local news story about the tribute to the lost pilot:

http://savannahnow.com/node/271710

It's ironic that on Saturday, around noon, the Geico Skytypers flew a huge arc over Savannah, spelling out a message announcing the show at MCAS Beaufort. Then, the very next day, those same pilots provided the "Missing Man" formation to honor Lt. Cmdr. Kevin J. Davis.

Did anyone meet this pilot at Osh last summer? I only chatted briefly with him. He was from the Berkshires (Mass), did the flight announcing up until he started flying. Being from Mass and having worked in his hometown for a long time, in the radio business -- Pittsfield -- we had a few things in common. He flew the #7 ship, I believe, last year.

Bob Collins said:
Did anyone meet this pilot at Osh last summer? I only chatted briefly with him. He was from the Berkshires (Mass), did the flight announcing up until he started flying. Being from Mass and having worked in his hometown for a long time, in the radio business -- Pittsfield -- we had a few things in common. He flew the #7 ship, I believe, last year.

Yeah Bob, I believe you're right. I have to wonder why you haven't snagged a ride in #7, seeing as how you're press.

I got a few pictures last year at OSH. Here's a picture of Harrison Ford I took right after his ride in #7. That appears to be Kevin Davis talking to him and I know the routine is generally that the #7 driver does the announcing during the show so I assume that Davis was the one that took Ford for a ride.

DSC05134.JPG

The words of the Air Force hymn apply so well

"God guard and guide the men that fly"

as does the last verse of High Flight

" And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

and finally from one fighter pilot to a brother gone the last of "The Fighter Pilot by Friar Tuck

"Here's a nickle on the grass, to you my friend for your spirit, enthusiasm, sacrifice and courage-but most of all to your friendship. Yours is a dying breed and when you are gone the world will be a lesser place

Jamie said:
announcing during the show so I assume that Davis was the one that took Ford for a ride.
Thanks for posting that picture, Jamie. As I recall, only #7 was at Osh last year. Although it was a really nice moment that I'll always remember when the Blue Angels flew over -- I think it was on Friday -- and #7 joined up with them.

You know, of all the things at airshows I've seen and all the various performances, nobody has ever blown me away like the Blue Angels did at an airshow at Eau Claire, Wisconsin about 13 years ago.

They are unbelievably great pilots.

BTW, I never got a ride 'cuz I never asked for one. And when I go to Osh, I don't go as press (although I may change that this year). Plus I have absolutely no interest in going anywhere where I most certainly will hurl.:D

T-bird

One of the Thunderbirds just had a bird strike mid performance either today or very recently... saw it on CNN or something today... landed safely..
Best
Brian

Back