What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Terra TXN-960 Installation Question

J5Cub

OK, I know that the radio is a boat anchor but I am helping a friend debug a problem in his Cherokee. I think that I have it isolated to the Terra but I don't know how to get it out to verify it. There is a small hole on the front that I thought might be for an allen head wrench but can't seem to get anything to fit. Does anyone know how to release the radio from it's mount?

Thanks,
Greg

No expert on Terra, but....

Do you know how all the others work? I can't say for sure, but I know how 90% of the other brands are released. Usually its an allen wrench in a little hole, usually center bottom. A flash light and eye ball should confirm the fastener style. Its the typical righty tighty, lefty loosey. The idea is to loosen the screw a several turns until the tab can rotate 1/4 turn (which sits in a slot in the tray) and disengages the tray. Than the unit should pull out, that is if its like all other avionics.

Some times you have to fight it and its a pain. What ever you do, don't force it. Try and eye ball the release mechanism any way you can to get some "intelligence" on it. However it sounds like you just can't get a tool to fit. I am going to say you don't have the right size allen wrench? Not 100% sure but good luck.

Last edited:
Hex Key To Remove Terra Radios

To remove the Terra radio you need a 7/64 hex key.

I have two Terra/Trimble radios one stacked above the other. I have found that to remove the top mounted radio it is easier if I remove the bottom radio first. It seems as though the locking pawl of the top radio gets somehow blocked from rotating when the bottom radio is installed as it is pressing against the top radio.

This all probably sounds a bit curious as it is a little difficult to explain.

Barry

Back