What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PTI products

mototopo

Well Known Member
Hi all. My name is Claudio (from Italy) and I'm setting up my shop waiting for the empenage of a RV-7.

I read a lot of threads about primers and, even if there is no answer to the question "which is the best one", I haven't found anything regarding PTI products that Aircraft Spruce sells. There is no one that can share his experience with this product?

I'd like to avoid the use of chrome based products like traditional Alodine, but I need to give to my plane a good corrosion protection because my plane will be based in Salerno's airport, very close to the sea. Any suggestion?

Thank you for your help.

Claudio
Why not try to locate an MilSpec epoxy primer vendor in Italy? I'm sure that DuPont and PPG have distributers in Italy. PPG's aviation subsidiery is DeSoto. DeSoto makes a complete line of MilSpec epoxy primers which you should be able to find locally.
I would suggest speaking to someone who paints aircraft professionally where they obtain their supplies.
Charlie Kuss
PS Another source is to find distributers of marine (boat) paints. I get my Sterling U-1201/U-1202 primer from a local marine distributer. The Sterling is a MilSpec product. However that is not mentioned on the stuff sold to marine stores.

John, thank you for your suggestion about AFS products. Very interesting!

Chaskuss, finding a MilSpec epoxy primer in Italy will not be so difficult. The problem is that I'd like to avoid the Alumiprep/Alodine process needed before priming. AFS, Sanchem and similar products are still not directly available in Europe, so I'll have to buy them in USA (adding shipping cost, custom duties, VAT, etc...etc... :( ) ...well... Alodine and Alumiprep too are very difficult to find in small quantities and, usally, the companies tha sold them to professional don't sell to private persons.
I'll try to contact someone at Tecnam (it's based close to Capua Aeroclub, one hour from where i live), maybe they can give me some directions about italian vendors. Thanks for the help.

Back