What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Tip-up canopy latch lugs

Jamie

Well Known Member
2007-04-15.2035.jpeg

The plans for the side-by-side tip-up canopies have you clamp the latch lugs into place. If you have the roll-bar installed it is virtually impossible. Here is what I did to install the latch lugs.

Step 1) Make you you have the front skin clecod on...especially if you have the lift struts installed. The lift struts push the canopy forward and if the skin isn't installed the canopy will be sitting forward of the desired location. (in my case it was a little shy of 1/4 inch). Be very careful about opening the canopy with the struts on as the clearance between the canopy skin and forward fuselage skin will be reduced a little now.
Step 2) Get a scrap piece of aluminum and cut it to the same width as but longer than the latch lug. Designate one end of the strip as the top and drill a #40 hole on the centerline.
Step 3) Get inside the fuselage. Reach up through the lug penetration holes in the gussets and mark the center of the hole on the rear canopy channel (this isn't easy but definitely doable).
Step 4) Raise the canopy and extend the mark you just made vertically on the channel.
Step 5) Find the vertical position for the top bolt on the channel (this should be even with the top row of rivets and on the centerline just drawn). Drill a #40 hole there.
Step 6) Cleco the scrap aluminum to the rear channel in order to simulate the lug.
Step 7) Enter the fuselage and carefully close the canopy. Now rotate the canopy latch handle until the 'fingers' are touching the scrap. Mark the point of contact.
Step 8) Remove the scrap aluminum and 'eyeball' where the latch lug should sit (I used 1/4 above the mark I made and it worked fine). Mark the hole in the scrap onto the latch lug and drill the hole in the lug.
Step 9) Cleco the lug onto the canopy and carefully close the canopy. Allow the lug to slightly rotate until all is aligned. Check the latching to make sure the lug is grabbing and is being pulled down slightly.
Step 10) If the lug needs to be moved up or down you can elongate the #40 hole. Later you will drill to full-size so the elongated hole won't matter.
Step 11) Carefully open the canopy, making sure that the lug doesn't swing left or right. Mark along both sides to make sure you know the proper location for the lug.
Step 12) Clamp and drill the lug to the canopy frame.
Step 13) Enlarge holes, deburr, install hardware, etc. and you're done.

This method was a little tedious but worked very well for me. The lugs fit into the holes perfectly and I didn't have to enlarge the holes from the plans' dimensions.

Or you could....

Jamie said:
2007-04-15.2035.jpeg

The plans for the side-by-side tip-up canopies have you clamp the latch lugs into place. If you have the roll-bar installed it is virtually impossible. Here is what I did to install the latch lugs.

This method was a little tedious but worked very well for me. The lugs fit into the holes perfectly and I didn't have to enlarge the holes from the plans' dimensions.

Or you could just fit the latch lugs to the side rail weldment before you rivet the side skins and the bow.

1. Use a spacer the thickness of the bow between weldment and catch.
2. Latch into position.
3. Mark center line.
4. Drill #40 cleco. When ready to install the bow, just transfer the hole.

gasman said:
Or you could just fit the latch lugs to the side rail weldment before you rivet the side skins and the bow.

1. Use a spacer the thickness of the bow between weldment and catch.
2. Latch into position.
3. Mark center line.
4. Drill #40 cleco. When ready to install the bow, just transfer the hole.

Yes...but that would require foresight. :eek:

Also, the canopy is not really in it's final position until the bubble is installed. The bubble tends to push the sides out. Also as mentioned for the best fit the struts need to be installed as well.

Guides

Jamie... if you have a close fit for the lugs through the square hole, I think you will need some sort of canopy guide.

If you don't have a guide, there is enough play in the final canopy you will be hitting the lugs on the edge of the square hole.... :(

gil in Tucson

BIG ROUND

az_gila said:
Jamie... if you have a close fit for the lugs through the square hole, I think you will need some sort of canopy guide.

If you don't have a guide, there is enough play in the final canopy you will be hitting the lugs on the edge of the square hole.... :(

gil in Tucson

Van now uses a big round hole there. Why didn't I think of that!!!! :confused:

Last edited:
Hi Gil:

I guess I lucked out because mine closes with minimum fuss.

And yes, gasman the round hole would be much easier. A unitbit and ten seconds verses 30 minutes of filing a nice square hole. :)

Plans...

gasman said:
Van now uses a big round hole there. Why didn't think of that!!!! :confused:

I guess I just followed the plans..... :D ... I know it's quaint... but....

gil in Tucson

Back