What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More KR87 Troubleshooting....

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I am trying to troubleshoot a KR87 installation in an RV-6, and think I'm out of steps to try, short of taking it to a shop and having them open up the radio itself. Here's where I'm at?if anyone has any further ideas, it might save what little hair I have left!

1) Unit was installed and working properly for some time.
2) Unit started malfunction such that it would work at power-up for a little while, then quit.
3) Unit was sent to avionics shop and the power supply was replaced.
4) Upon return, unit would point at station if aircraft was pointed at station, but otherwise, was not accurate. (I don't have any better description than that, as I wasn't involved then). Unit, with indicator, was sent back to shop, and they "adjusted out an error of 30 degrees".
5) Unit was re-installed, and the indicator receives and points - but to the wrong side of the plane. For instance, with station at eight o'clock, pointer is at four o'clock. Front to back is right, left to right is reversed.
6) I became involved. Checking the pin outs (I don't have the install manual), there is a pin that is used to tell the unit if the antenna is on the top or the bottom of the aircraft. Confusing this would exactly match the observed behavior. It is supposed to be grounded for a bottom antenna, which is what we have. I checked the pin in the connector (airframe side), and it was NOT grounded - Ahah! We have a solution. I grounded that pin with a jumper, verified that all other connections were properly wired, and reinstalled the unit. Got the same results. I grounded and ungrounded the "top/bottom antenna" pin while the unit was on, and got no change whatsoever.

Conclusion - the unit (radio itself) is not recognizing the top/bottom antenna select jumper, so the problem has to be in the radio - possibly messed up when the radio was opened for the power supply repair. Which means it has to go back to the shop.

I hope someone can find a flaw in my analysis - I hate taking things to shops?.. :mad:

Paul

last ditch step?

You could try flipping the antenna so it simulates a top mounted configuration. You could remove it from the aircraft and just flip it over mounting it on a spare ground plane and running a bonding strap to the airframe. If the error goes away then you'd know that for some reason the pin is not telling the unit that the antenna is bottom mounted.

Send it back

Paul... I would send it back to the radio shop.

You now have a precise discrepancy they can trouble shoot....

Just tell them the set up on the antenna position pin does not work.

Since the default is open (top mount), the first thing I would look for is a broken internal wire to the connector pin.

However, since they signed it off as functional, and didn't test that pin function, send it back.... :)

gil in Tucson

Thanks guys - I'm pretty well convinced it is internal as well. Removing the antenna to check isn't a bad idea, but I tuned in a couple of different stations whose locations I know, and the needle swung exactly to their "wrong" place.

I'm going to run it up to the radio shop on Thursday morning and see what they can do - hey, at least it's an excuse to fly Louise's -6!

The Rest of the Story....

OK, I took the airplane (with the KR87 installed) up to Avionics Unlimited in Conroe yesterday morning, and they range the entire system out. They bench checked the ADF box itself, and it worked perfectly. Aircraft harness was all correct - checked by ringing out each line. Then we dove into the circuit drawings, and figured out that the "top/bottom antenna select" connector really isn't used inside the ADF itself - the signal is passed directly to the electronics in the antenna, which is where the actual "direction finding" is done.

They took the antenna off and put it on the test bench, and sure enough, it would not recognize a change in the signal from top to bottom mount. So what we have is an expensive ADF that will only work as a top mount antenna....

The only thing we can think of is that the original power supply problem in the ADF box caused the damage in the antenna electronics, and although they fixed the box, and it is working fine, the antenna electronics are potted, and essentially non-repairable.

Not the answer we'd hoped for, but thought that I'd close the loop and not leave anyone hanging. And if anyone has a spare antenna that they removed because they've installed a GPS, well....let me know!

Paul

Alternate solution

Ironflight said:
They took the antenna off and put it on the test bench, and sure enough, it would not recognize a change in the signal from top to bottom mount. So what we have is an expensive ADF that will only work as a top mount antenna....
Or, just tell the driver to go inverted if he needs to know where the station is :D

Back