What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KR87 Install Manual?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
We're working on a problem with a King ADF - think that it's a KR87 - and need a peek at the install manual....does anyone perhaps have an electronic copy of the install manual they could send me or point me at?

Paul

Thanks for the reply Gil,

Pin-outs would help, but I really need the entire manual - the indicator is "reverse sensing" (turns the wrong way)....and this is after the unit has been to the same avionics shop a couple of times.....I really want to look at the manual to understand if there is some sort of jumper, or how to adjust.

Paul

Top/Bottom mount....

Ironflight said:
Thanks for the reply Gil,

Pin-outs would help, but I really need the entire manual - the indicator is "reverse sensing" (turns the wrong way)....and this is after the unit has been to the same avionics shop a couple of times.....I really want to look at the manual to understand if there is some sort of jumper, or how to adjust.

Paul

Paul... will ship, but it's too much of a pain to post on a web site.

Please send me your regular e-mail address and I'll screen shot the couple of pages --
Your VAF profile will not let me send you a regular e-mail... :(

Do you have the KI-227 indicator?

But my guess is it's PIN E on the KR-87

This is a top/bottom antenna mount selector.

Ground for BOTTOM mount, OPEN for top mount.

Bet you have it open and the antenna on the bottom.... this would give the exact reversal symptoms you describe... :)

gil in Tucson

Thanks for the info Gil....I am not at the airport right now with the plane in question, so not sure of the indicator model, but I'll check the pin - it really does sound like the top/bottom swap. Check your PM for my email addresss...

Thanks again!

az_gila said:
But my guess is it's PIN E on the KR-87

This is a top/bottom antenna mount selector.

Ground for BOTTOM mount, OPEN for top mount.

Bet you have it open and the antenna on the bottom.... this would give the exact reversal symptoms you describe... :)
gil in Tucson
Is it possible that the sense antenna is mounted in a reversed (front to back) position?

That would also give you that indication.....

Combined antenna

ddurakovich said:
Is it possible that the sense antenna is mounted in a reversed (front to back) position?

That would also give you that indication.....

Dave.. I believe this model ADF comes with a KA 44 antenna, which is a combined loop and sense antenna....

It probably would look dumb if it was installed backwards.... :) .... and even then it would sense correctly, just be 180 degrees out...

ka44b.gif

http://www.seaerospace.com/king/ka44b.htm

The wiring harness from the ADF to the antenna could still be wrong though, effectively reversing the sense direction (sin/cosine flipped??).....

gil in Tucson

Good thought on the reversed antenna, but the antenna and ADF itself have been installed in this -6 for years...the ADF went in to the shop to have a power supply problem fixed, and when it came back, there was a problem with the indicator pointing 30 degrees off. When it came back from THAT fix, it was reverse sensing.....ah, maintenance problems!

Paul

Back