What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camping at Oshkosh

jlisler

Well Known Member
Is there a primer of sorts that explains the in's and out's of Oshkosh? Now that my Rv-4 is finished I would like to make my first trip to Oshkosh this year. Never having been there I am completely lost when trying to make plans. I think I want to camp but I do not know what the camping arrangements are. Is there a separate camp ground or do you camp at your airplane? Is this allowed in the RV parking area? Any information would be most appreciated.

Jerry Isler
Donalsonville, GA
RV-4 N455J
16 hrs

Oshkosh

jlisler said:
Is there a primer of sorts that explains the in's and out's of Oshkosh? Now that my Rv-4 is finished I would like to make my first trip to Oshkosh this year. Never having been there I am completely lost when trying to make plans. I think I want to camp but I do not know what the camping arrangements are. Is there a separate camp ground or do you camp at your airplane? Is this allowed in the RV parking area? Any information would be most appreciated.

Jerry,
You would park in "showplane" camping with about 500 other RV's....really cool. Set up your tent beside your airplane and you are set to go.....Even if the Notam says that Oshkosh is not taking any more planes because it is full, they will always try to make room for a homebuilt (showplane)....land there anyway and wait for a spot to become available....there are always guys leaving every day.
A word of advice......make sure you get the Notam (usually posted in May)and read/understand it thoroughly......Have your signs made up and accessible (not in the baggage compartment).
It really is a hoot to fly in there and camp with all those other RV's......I hope to get there this year myself......perhaps we'll be camped side/side....??

"You gotta be there!"

A lot of information on www.airventure.org including how to get a copy of the NOTAM. My experience is that as a "showplane" person you will be treated very well. See you there!

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

You cannot pitch a tent in the RV parking area, however the designated "Homebuilt Camping" area is directly adjacent to the RV parking area and allows for camping with your plane. Porta pots, water and shower facilities are nearby.

No homebuilt has ever been turned away from the field, but at times we're gotten awfully close to diverting them down to the far south end of the field (North Fon du Lac) but if you arrive Saturday or Sunday you should have no problem. If you're coming later, people start to trickle out by Wednesday and flee in droves on Thursday and Friday, leaving plenty of space.

You should be able to search this site and find some good info. I believe air camping (or oshkosh camping) was discussed at length a couple of months ago.

The most important thing is to get a good tent. Those $49 Wal-mart specials are fine when you are sleeping under the stars on a nice night, but they don't do very well in Oshkosh T-storms. They leak, the rain-flys come off, etc.

Its true, you cannot camp in either of the RV Corrals. A second corral was added last year. Besides camping in the Homebuilt area, you've got the melting pot known as the North 40.
"Give us your rich your poor, etc." Scrawl "GAC" on you taxi placard and the ground controllers will get you there. It's the aviation version of Woodstock, dude. Far from show center yet close to shopping and restaurants. Few people will stop and admire your plane but you won't have to spend hours cleaning it either. Impromtu parties go far into the night but you can catch a nap tomorrow.

I love it,
Steve

Oshkosh bound?

My 14 year old son and I are planning on making the journey this year from SO-CAL. The plan is to stop along the way to see relatives in MO, head up to Oshkosh for a day and a half, then head off to Spokane to visit the sister.

I was a little surprised at the cost of Oshkosh. For us to camp a couple nights and attend the show was going to cost in the neighborhood of a couple hundred dollars (partly due to the three night camping minimum at $20/night). Add the gas for the Oshkosh segment and it was approaching $300.

Since I've seen Airventure before as a vendor I'm now considering skipping the show and spending a couple extra days showing the boy parts of this great country he lives in, perhaps following the Missouri and Columbia along the route of Lewis and Clark. He's been studying them in school. What a great treat for me to show him the scale of that adventure!

. . .even if I do have to miss camping in 100 degree heat and 100% humidity (see, I have been there before :)

John Allen

Yeah

I think I'm going with a buddy of mine and expect to spend $600 each (from Western oregon).

The Wife said i could go as long is it was a once in a lifetime deal, i.e not a yearly event.

As I'm told the weather sucks I figure on a week being enough to get the xperience and to take the bird back to aviation Mecca so to speak.

Usually 2 days at Arlington is enough (and I usually go every other year) so I'm assuming 4 to 4 dyas would see us heading back.

Maybe see some of you there and a loose formation flight sounds like fun...Unless I'm going IFR of course..:)

Frank
Corvallis Oregon

fliier said:
My 14 year old son and I are planning on making the journey this year from SO-CAL. The plan is to stop along the way to see relatives in MO, head up to Oshkosh for a day and a half, then head off to Spokane to visit the sister.

I was a little surprised at the cost of Oshkosh. For us to camp a couple nights and attend the show was going to cost in the neighborhood of a couple hundred dollars (partly due to the three night camping minimum at $20/night). Add the gas for the Oshkosh segment and it was approaching $300.
When I was 14, I would have worked all summer or sold my left nart to go to OSH with my dad.

Caution, shameless plug ahead.

Bring the lad to the RV BBQ. It won't cost you. (news on that later)

But I have to ask, where does your son want to go with you this year? If he wants to go to OSH, man, don't think about it terms of dollars. Long after he's gone, you'll still have money. But you only have your 14-year old once.

And let me tell you, he's not far away from the age in which he isn't going to want to spend a lot of time in the summer with you. Hear me now and believe me later...

My first cross country flight after completing phase one testing was to Oshkosh in 2005. I have documented the adventure in 2005 and 2006 on my website. The 2006 report includes in-flight videos with sound of the approach, landing, taxi to homebuilt camping, and departure.

You can find the links to my Oshkosh adventures on my home page at www.n2prise.org. And yes, I got one of those Walmart tents, but I bought the heavy-duty tent pegs, so I survived the 2005 storm at OSH. I did get the seam sealer to make things a bit drier for 2006. Yep, it rained again on the second trip.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
East Ridge, Tennessee

I camped at OSH once about ten years ago and it was a wonderful time with great weather. I do not care for camping but still had fun. Be sure and keep your gas reciepts. When I got home one of the fbos sent me a bill for my gas that I had already paid for once. I did not pay them again. I am sure it was an honest mistake but they gas up a lot of planes that week and are bound to make now and then.

Good thing

fliier said:
My 14 year old son and I are planning on making the journey this year from SO-CAL.

John Allen

Be careful, you might be changing his life. OSH (and my Dad) did it for me when I was 11. Became a fanatic. I blame OSH for me going to school for Mechanical and Aero Eng. :)

Give your kid the adventure of Oshkosh!

Flier, I agree with the others posting here about your son and Oshkosh. I have only been there twice in my life and that was just in the past two years. If I had been exposed to this at 14 I cannot imagine what it would have done to me. Although a flying adventure across the US would be a grand adventure for a 14 year old I don't think it would even come close to having that adventure in addition to an introduction to an event like Oshkosh.

As Bob has stated, you should forget about the money. Price for camping at Oshkosh for a day $20.00. Price for a gallon of 100LL $4.00/gal. Exposure to the world of aviation that will change the life of a 14 year old. PRICELESS!!! :D

Back