What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New dimpler design

rv8_builder

I designed and manufactured my own dimpling tool that I want to share with the group that intend to build their own.

The ?C? profiles are laser cut and the whole tool is bolted together. There is no welding on the frame so everything is square and lines up perfectly.

The frame is very strong and dimples beautifully!

ABDT_small1.jpg

ABDT_small2.jpg

Happy dimpling :D

Andre Burger
South Africa
RV8 - Empennage

Very cool, are you going to post the plans also ?
Did you make the front end unit yourself, or just the frame ?

Happy building

jamie
:)

Dimpler drawings

Hi Jamie,

If you intend building one, I will e-mail the drawings to you.
Just let me know what your e-mail address is.

The front end unit is a standard push/pull toggle clamp I bought from a local tool supply company.

Andre
South Africa
RV8 - Empennage

Nice job, but you will want to add some "feet" underneath to stabilize or better, to attach the frame to your bench. You will love the DRDT-2.

PM sent, Im going to hit the tool Dept. to try and find a toggle clamp.

Jamie

rv8_builder said:
Hi Jamie,

The front end unit is a standard push/pull toggle clamp I bought from a local tool supply company.

Andre
South Africa
RV8 - Empennage

This is not a DRDT-2

rtry9a said:
Nice job, but you will want to add some "feet" underneath to stabilize or better, to attach the frame to your bench. You will love the DRDT-2.

I am concerned that RV builders may confuse this dimpler with the DRDT-2. Please be aware that this tool is not a DRDT-2. It may have a similar appearance but its construction and clamp used are not structurally the same as the DRDT-2.

The DRDT-2 has been engineered and extensively tested to meet the high dimpling load requirements on both the frame and clamp. Several frame designs were analyzed (including the two plate approach shown) but after final review the rectangular tube configuration was selected because it met both the structural and weight requirements and was the least expensive option for either the factory fabricated or builder fabricated frame. The DRDT-2 is over 2 times more ridged in flex (spreading of the upper and lower beams during dimpling) and in twist. Excessive flex or twist can cause irregular dimple holes, dents, and wear on the dimple dies (pilots and holes).

I am providing this information so that those who are interested in building their frame similar to the one shown are aware of these issues. This tool will not perform the same as the DRDT-2.

Paul,

I for one am very pleased with your design and I very much appreciated you allowing access to the design of the frame and still providing the front end kit for those of us that can build our own frame.

Not sure why people keep trying to copy your design and use your hard work without at least purchasing the front end kit from you. This kit is of top notch quality and provides a great value.

I also ran the comparison of your frame verses this 2 plate frame through my stress analysis program in SolidWorks and I can second your statement that this 2 plate design will flex significantly more than your design.

Engineering 101

Brian,

Thanks for the post.

For those interested here is a reference to some vary basic beam design calculations. Could be helpful you never know.

http://pergatory.mit.edu/2.007/Resources/calculations/bending/bending.html[/url]

DRDT-2 Deleivered

Paul,

I received my DRDT-2 today! Exactly as promised, delivery dates met and excellent construction. I looked at building my own frame and the cost of materials was only $80 less than the finished frame from you, I am not disappointed in the least.

Excellent product, excellent service.

Thank you,
Keith McIntyre

Drawings

Jamie Aust said:
PM sent, Im going to hit the tool Dept. to try and find a toggle clamp.

Jamie

Jamie,

Drawings sent.

Despite speculation about strength, I can assure you that this tool is more than strong enough and dimples beautifully!

Happy dimpling,

Andre

rtry9a said:

Good idea, I'll add some feet and mount it to the bench.

Thanks,

Andre

Back