What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun n Fun

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Hey North Texans!!

The Borrowed Horse is planning to leave for Sun n Fun, Monday 16th. Fly to Tobins, RV7, base Trent Lott, PQL. Stage there and head to Lakeland Tuesday.
Looking forward to seeing Tobin, Jason, Smokey, and other east coast friends.
Who else is heading out east.

I,ll be staging out of 64GA Senoia Georgia for Lakeland Thursday.

This will be my 1st time at S&F

Friday

my.php

N33PL will be there on Friday with Missus. Milt,
could you stop by 2J3 on your way on Thursday?

Regards,

Meet UP?

Jonathon, Pierre,

My cell # 817 271 0594 give me a call. I will be there somewhere?? I think we are camping.

Pierre,

We will be coming through on Tuesday not Thursday, WX permiting... See you @ Sun n Fun!!

Looking for the best places to stop...

Dallas area (52F) to Lakeland. First time to S&F so recommended stops with cheap fuel, good food, best routes etc. appreciated. Plan is to head that way Monday.

Stopping place from 52F to Lakeland

Walt said:
Dallas area (52F) to Lakeland. First time to S&F so recommended stops with cheap fuel, good food, best routes etc. appreciated. Plan is to head that way Monday.

Last year when I flew to Sun n Fun from Addison, I stoped at 2R5 - St. Elmo Alabama. It's about midway in the flight, relatively cheap fuel and a good jumping off point before tackling the restricted airspace along the Florida Gulf Coast.

Chris

2R5

I don't think think there is any fuel available at St Elmo, 2R5. The phone number listed on Airnav has been disconnected. I'm based 12miles to the west in Pascagoula, PQL. I used to buy from 2R5 all the time, but after Katrina the prices there went through the roof and most folks stopped buying from them. They may have gone out of business.

Fuel prices down here in general are really high. They've always been like that compared to TX. The only two places I try to buy now is either Picayune MS, MJD, northeast of New Orleans or Evergreen AL, GZH, 57nm north of Pensacola. MJD was $2.99 for the longest time, but currently is $3.49. GZH is currently $3.50.

If coming from DFW area, I'd stop in to Carthage TX, 4F2, currently $3, top off there and go to GZH. Navy uses GZH as a boucne field during the week(T-34C), so be careful of that. They're real good about getting out of the way of inbound aircraft though, so just call inbound early, 10 miles out or so.

From GZH, you can easily make Lake City, Cross City, etc, or continue all the way to LAL nonstop.

Perry-Foley (40J) is a good fuel stop, easy in easy out and self service. It is located in the Big Bend of Florida. Cross City (CTY) is also a good stop, but congested during SNF. I use both of them, but prefer 40J.
Beautiful day along the coast, 50 this morning with a light breeze out of the north and blue skies.
I will be heading to LAL Sunday in camper, my 33rd year there.
Gerry Chancey, Ancient Oaks Airpark, Steinhatchee. Florida
RV-9, N92GC
J-3, NC88583

WOW! I will spend $125 dollars to camp with my -9 for two nights at SNF. (Thursday and Friday)
Money well spent......I guess. After seven years of driving there, I am really looking forward to flying in and enjoying myself for a couple days.

Hope to see old friends and make new ones.

peachstate001iz4.jpg
[/URL]

Jaypratt said:
Hey North Texans!!

The Borrowed Horse is planning to leave for Sun n Fun, Monday 16th. Fly to Tobins, RV7, base Trent Lott, PQL. Stage there and head to Lakeland Tuesday. Looking forward to seeing Tobin, Jason, Smokey, and other east coast friends. Who else is heading out east.
How about seeing a west coast friend on the east coast Jay? ;) Tuppergal and I are flying back to the Turks & Caicos for a week of sun and fun, leaving California on Wednesday and continuing into Tampa/Clearwater on Thursday. We plan to attend SnF on Friday morning, departing before the afternoon airshow begins so we'll look for you and others who'd like to say hello :D Rosie

Last edited:
Back