What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon pitot location

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm building my wings, and thinking about installing a Dynon EFIS with AOA in the panel. However, since it uses it's own pitot, will it use the same holes in the ribs and spar as Van's for their pitot or will I be locating the Dynon pitot in a different location? while I'm not yet ready to commit one way or the other, I'd like to have my pitot tube/mast locations drilled in such a way as I will have flexibility to decide later. Am I dreaming?

Steve

The dynon probe will use a "Gretz" style pitot mount. You could wait and retrofit the mount later, but it is much easier to install before you put that bottom skin on.

If you put in the gretz mount and then decide not to use it, I guess you could make a plug that has the Van's style tube and screws into the hole left for the gretz probe.

I just installed the www.safeair1.com mount. It is a simple install and would highly recommend it!

DSCN1602.jpg

DSCN1603.jpg

DSCN1610.jpg

It mounts just outside the bellcrank, inside the next bay.

:cool: CJ

Thanks CJ! Follow up...

Great pictures, CJ. They answer a lot of my questions. I assume the blue and green lines are for the independent pitot and AOA lines?

I also assume you used the one tooling hole Van's provides on the forward edge of the main ribs, and then put another, second hole in yourself just above (or below) that to serve both lines or did they go together through one hole?

Since you put the pitot outboard of the aileron bellcrank, were you able to run the lines straight through or did the bellcrack attach point get in the way, forcing you to re-route the lines? In other words, was it a straight shot for the lines or did you have too loop them over the bellcrank and/or drill holes in a different place on the ribs, etc.? (I'm not yet at the stage of seeing how the bellcrank will fit onto the spar and how that will impact the placement of the lines, so it's hard for me to visualize).

Thanks again,
Steve

Steve,

Yes, I opened up another tooling hole for the AOA and the pitot lines run just above the bellcrank stuff.

I haven't run them yet, as I am only one step ahead of you. I don't see the lines being an interference issue. They ought to clear without a hitch!

Bob, Dynon has it's own pitot, but it is the AOA that makes it special. If you want to use a regular pitot and ignore the AOA data, you can still go Dynon.

No problemmo!

I installed the Dynon pitot using the SafeAir1 mount as well. I opened one of the tooling holes for the AOA tubing. I ran both tubes under the bellcrank and will hold them down against the spar with adel clamps so that the bellcrank does not rub against them. Easy installation and should work well.

CJ and Paul

Captain_John said:
Steve,

Yes, I opened up another tooling hole for the AOA and the pitot lines run just above the bellcrank stuff.

Thanks CJ and Paul..

"Where" did you open up another hole, CJ, if you will allow me to bug you some more? Was it a pre-existing tooling hole you used or are you saying you drilled a second hole where none existed before? If adjacent to the tooling hole in the forward web of the main ribs, was your second hole drilled above or below Van's hole? (In otherwords, would drilling above the existing or below be better for clearing the bellcrank?).

Paul--did you use separate holes for the AOA and pitot or did you put them both in one

Does Safeair give any instructions in either their mount or tubing packages regarding where the line holes should be drilled?

Pretty soon I'll get this figured out... just hard to visualize so far.

Steve

Last edited:
Well, I noodled over this one for a while. That is, until I figured out that I was dwelling in minutia once again!!!

DSCN1569.jpg

It falls into the "Whatever" category. I opened up the center and top tooling hole. Reason: for a more gentle bend leading to the pitot tube. Sounded reasonable to me.

The individual holes (one for each line) will prevent them from rubbing on one another and chafing a hole in one or both, if that is even possible.

Hope this helps!

:) CJ

U R Welcome!!

Anytime!

BTW, I am not saying that I did anything right! I am just saying this is the way I did it!

:D CJ

Steve,

I use a second hole for the AOA tubing. I just opened up one of the tooling holes. I think I used the lower one, But I don't think it matters at all as they are symetrical.

Back