What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Feeback on VAL INS-422 VOR/GS/MB Unit?

R

Rutus

On a related thread dealing with outfitting a basic IFR panel, Mickey Coggins suggested looking into this unit as a compact and inexpensive way to get VOR/GS/MB functions, all in one unit. Looking at VAL's website, this unit indeed appears to offer a lot of what I am looking for. Does anyone have any experience with this product, or VAL products in general?

John:
I have a Val422 which will serve as my primary nav radio for instrument flight. My equipment also includes an SL40, a Garmin 196 and and Icom handheld Nav/Com. I refer to this setup as "IFR Light". The 196 is hard wired and the Icom antenna will also plug into my external com antenna. Heading/attitude is from TruTrak ADI. Panel is all steam gages and includes a turn coordinator. Not so different from what I learned to fly instruments on many years ago but much improved with the 196. Currently looking at a Fujitsu tablet with GPS and WX that will also give me approach plates and enroute charts. Backup #1 with printed plates for destination and alternate. Backup #2 courtesy ATC.

Regarding the Val, I have this tied to Archer antennas (VOR and MBN) in the wingtip. Reception appears to be about 10 miles for every 1000AGL. I like the unit for ILS approaches as the CDI is a 10 position light bar in each direction (rather than 4 right left and 2 up down as in many mechanical heads). Very easy to hold exact approaches. I don't have an audio panel, so I have panel switchs for both VOR/LOC and Marker ID wired to my headsets. Auto centering feature works well but will take some getting used to if you've been using a conventional CDI. Also, dialing in a specific heading takes some practice as well due to single button used to step in each direction. Finally, I would note that fellow pilot and DAR Ted Gauthier also has a Val backing up an SL30, which is tied to a Grand Rapids EFIS. He is lukewarm on the Val at best and has found that the Apollo picks up signals much sooner than the Val - he has confirmed this reception performance difference with Val engineering.

While I am no longer flying for business, I feel quite comfortable with the level of equipment and backup. Even when I was flying a couple of times per week throughout the midwest (all on IFR flight plans), I found I only needed to fly approaches to minimums three or four times per year. The Val should more than meet my current needs. Would I buy again? Yes.

If you need more infor, contact me direclty.
Terry

Back