What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight Testing in Michigan???

OldAndBold

Well Known Member
Has anyone on the board here done flight testing in the Grand Rapids area? If so, is it possible to do flight testing out of KGRR? The reason I ask is it would seem to me that the long runways would be an ideal place to do the first flight from... can anyone advise me about the FSDO's view of experimentals and low activity class C airports?

Thanks

John Babrick
Shelbyville MI
N777XV (reserved)
HS Done VS Done Rudder NEXT

John, I've heard that it can be even done out of a Class B airport! The FSDO may impose some sort of silly restrictions on route of flight in and out of the airport when he approves your test plan and gives you your airworthiness certificate. After you start the engine however it's up to ATC to determine the routing with the pilot in command responsible for the safe conduct of the flight. Also, feel free to call tower to request non-standard routings or altitudes for the first flight. The good plan may be to leave their area as high as possible after determining you have a reliable engine so as not to interfere with the departures and arrivals. This information should be similar for your area as well as Honolulu since FSDO is federal.

Last edited:
OK at KDET

John, I did all my phase 1 flights from KDET with a 50 nm circle centered at Davison on the east edge of the Flint TRSA. It's up to the DAR.
PS- I sold the 150.

Back