What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 496 Panel Mount Options

RWoodard

Well Known Member
Benefactor
Hello,

I've searched around and found several threads re: panel mounting the Garmin handheld GPS's, but nobody's posted anything in the actual GPS section. So here's a first...

For various reasons, I decided NOT go to with the AirGizmos mounting system. I had originally planned to glue my 496 in place, but after reading about and seeing Randy Lervold's system, I decided to fabricate my own mount. So here it is:

garminfront-1.jpg

garminfront.jpg

garmintop.jpg

I'll still need to cut a few holes for the various cables to pass through...

Best regards,

Rod Woodard
Loveland, Colorado (KFNL)
Midget Mustang still underway...
RV-8 #81964 waiting at the wings...

What I think many people may not realize is that you're going to want to yank the 496 out for software updates, snarfing tracks, etc. on a somewhat regular basis. All I can say is make it relatively easy to get it out.

dan said:
What I think many people may not realize is that you're going to want to yank the 496 out for software updates, snarfing tracks, etc. on a somewhat regular basis. All I can say is make it relatively easy to get it out.

Actually, I'm planning to make the USB connection very easy to get to. I travel extensively with my laptop so taking it to the airport for a track download or to upload a software/database revision will be no burden at all.

You bring up a good point, however, for those who may not have a laptop computer...

Rod Woodard
Loveland, Colorado (KFNL)

Here's a similar design. I also built an extractor using 1/4" delrin rod (not shown) that is pushed into the hole in the panel to realease the unit.

111_1159_1.jpg

111_1163_1.jpg

Back