What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

THOR Lights-- LED's & Strobes

I have them. They are still in the box, but I have fired them up.

The LED's are SUPER BRIGHT and I have no doubts that they will comply with the regs.

The strobes OTOH, are weak. In fact, so weak that I wonder if they will pass muster. The strobe portion is SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT and all the high voltage is out at the end of the wings/empennage. I like that from an RF harmonics/noise standpoint. I am going to give it a try and see if the package will be good enough for government work.

:cool: CJ

Thor lights

I have them & really like the Nav lights, they are super bright & cover a wide angle with their mounting system. As has been said though the Strobes are not the brightest. We compared them with my friends Whelan units & they aren't even close. In the end I have ordered strobes from Strobes r us & will be using these with the Thor nav lights.

Perspective

I just checked the Thor, LLC site and those LED Nav lights alone are $495!! :eek:

Now LED's are great and I'm all for power savings but we are not building Apollo spacecrafts here with limited power budgets. I purchased a pair of Grimes conventional Nav lights for $75-the pair! from B&B Aircraft supply. You think my alternator will notice the additional drain of my Grimes verses the LED Nav lights. I'm all for product innovation, but at 6 TIMES the cost? It will take A LOT of replacement bulbs to get up to $500. Just my $0.02.

wings99a.jpg

William, that is some good common sense talking there!

It really makes ones come around to one's own senses!

True, current draw is one issue. Dependability is another. With the LED's you will certainly get a much brighter lamp as well!

Does all that add up to .5 large ones? I guess it did for me!

:D CJ

Yep

w1curtis said:
I just checked the Thor, LLC site and those LED Nav lights alone are $495!! :eek: I'm all for product innovation, but at 6 TIMES the cost? It will take A LOT of replacement bulbs to get up to $500. Just my $0.02.
William there you go with common sense and logic. :D
Captain_John said:
William, that is some good common sense talking there!

Dependability is another. With the LED's you will certainly get a much brighter lamp as well! CJ
It should NOT be much brighter. The brightness is per the FARS, right? The color and coverage is also standard or specified. POWER or Candlepower is very specific so its "relative" distance is somewhat known to other lights.

Of course if the NAV lights are TOO bright it can be dangerous: Ahhhhhh YOUR NAV LIGHTS ARE TOO BRIGHT....... :eek:
raidersmeltinghead.jpg

Last edited:
Back