What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric aileron trim

houndsfour

I want to add electric trim to my ailerons. I have the servo kit and all that stuff but has anyone tried to install the servo in the finished left aileron? OR should I just bit the bullet and order a new aileron and start from scrach?
Rich
RV-6 721ET
200 hr.

Building the RV6 aileron trim tab after the fact would be doable but I think it's more work than it's worth. I built a trim tab similar to the elevator trim and you can see that work here http://bmnellis.com/wings_ailerons_trim.htm

If I was to do it again, I'd just get the plans for the -7 and use the servo to move a bias spring setup. Simple and seems to work great. I'm thinking about using a similar setup to install a rudder trim.

trim

Thanks for the input. After looking at your trim system, I think I will stay with the spring trim I'm using now. Thats the lever arm through the floor and a spring to the ailron push rod. Your right, it works well. But not what do I do with the 2 extra buttons on my stick?
Rich

You can add the 7 electric trim system to your 6.

Takes a little work but it can be done.

James

houndsfour said:
Thanks for the input. After looking at your trim system, I think I will stay with the spring trim I'm using now. Thats the lever arm through the floor and a spring to the ailron push rod. Your right, it works well. But not what do I do with the 2 extra buttons on my stick?
Rich

trim

What trim system is used on the 7 ailerons? I have the spring system now but I don't like the handle sticking uo through the floor.
Thanks
Rich

Retrofitting aileron trim

houndsfour said:
I want to add electric trim to my ailerons. I have the servo kit and all that stuff but has anyone tried to install the servo in the finished left aileron? OR should I just bit the bullet and order a new aileron and start from scrach?
Rich
RV-6 721ET
200 hr.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I do like the mod of adding the trim flap similar to the elevator trim. Also depnds on how much work do you want to do. Are you building a show plane or a good flyer?

I added the electric trim to mine after it was built due to the fact I was stupid and even though I had bought the kit already, I built both ailerons before remembering the trim kit.

You'll need a good dremel set to cut the skin and make the cutout in the spar.
I used a straight cutter designed for cutting drywall (can't remember the name but I got them at Home Depot in the tool section) that kinda looks like a drill bit. Practice before you use it on the spar. Its a little hard to control but cuts ok.

I don't honestly think anyone can tell I added the trim later just by looking at it.

By the way, Van's advertises the kits as for construction or retrofit.

Mark Dews
N885SM

Adding trim

I've seen the trim set up in a -7, although it's been a while, and believe it could be adapted to the -6 so you wouldn't have to cut the aileron. I'm pretty sure it incorporates the same spring set up used on the -6's. I'd try putting a post on the -7 board and see if someone would send you a copy of the drawing. Might save you a little time!
Good Luck!
Bill Waters

Short answer ...

Imagine basically the same system but with the handle under the seat and being pushed or pulled by a MAC servo.

James

houndsfour said:
What trim system is used on the 7 ailerons? I have the spring system now but I don't like the handle sticking uo through the floor.
Thanks
Rich

Trim

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to ask in the 7 thread for a drawing or some ideas. It's looking more like a "leave it alone and fly" project..
Rich
271ET

Back