What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

vacuum leak

jmbaute

Well Known Member
I am troubleshooting low vacuum in my older mooney. I'm reasonably certain it isn't the pump and that the regulator is maxed. The system has a zillion hoses and to troubleshoot it I'll have to spend hours on my back under the dash.

So, I was wondering if there is an electric pump I can hook up to the system to pull a vacuum while I try & isolate which part of the system might be problem, without the engine running. Is there such an animal? Is this a bad idea? Obviously I'd have to take precautions so as not to suck trash through my instruments. Any insight would be appreciated.

Yep, the RV will be all electric.

Gary Bricker

Go to a better Auto Repair shop and they will have a smoke machine to check this time of plumbing problem and maybe you could borrow it. Some of them are Airplane nuts also.

ultra sonic tester

if you cant get a smoke machine maybe a freind at a local gm dealership has the electronic listening device used for finding evaporative system leaks on cars, (looks like a freon leak detector with a head set.)may be helpfull with the mentioned vacum pump. also those james bond type listening devices come with earphones and really pick up this kind of noise well.
good luck

Back