What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Batteries

RVadmirer

Well Known Member
What are the current battery recommendations? I'll need to replace a B&C 35 Amp battery that isn't holding it's charge. Thought I'd see if there is something better out there in the collective experience. Am waiting on a scale this afternoon to verify all the specs I'll need to match as close as possible.
Thank you.

I've been using an Odyssey PC625 on my IO-360-A3B6D for the last two years. I have never had a problem starting, even in the coldest weather (0F) and after letting it sit for 2 months between starts.

Cheers

Mark, is that the PC925? The larger one? I'm using a PC680 in my 7A with 0-360 A1A. It's way over 3.5 years and doing great.

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Nope, it is the 625, and I am really happy with it. Here is a pic from the Odyssey website:

pc625_lg.jpg

I also use the Odyssey PC625. I replace it every two years, and have never had a problem starting. Even down as low as 18 dF after preheating.

After I pull them off the plane, I put them on riding lawnmowers, use them on the workbench, etc. and they really are still troublefree. The old original is still going.

I know, I know, probably replacing too many batteries. IIRC, Electric Bob recommended a two year replacement cycle for the Odyssey batteries. I know I have never had an electric problem and I guess it gives me some peace of mind.

Wes Hays
RV-6A Flying since 2000
Winters, TX

Battery Problem

Can a weak battery be the cause of Light Speed ignition problems? Mine missed at run up and at idle and we can't seem to find the culprit. I would have thought the alternator was doing the voltage supply at run up speeds but then electrics are in my black hole of knowledge base.... :confused:

Last edited:
I know, I know, probably replacing too many batteries. IIRC, Electric Bob recommended a two year replacement cycle for the Odyssey batteries. I know I have never had an electric problem and I guess it gives me some peace of mind.

I think 'Lectric Bob only recommends a two year replacement cycle when using the el cheapo batteries such as Panasonic, etc. The Odyssey batteries can most likely remain in service quite a bit longer than two years.

My Lightspeed Plasma II also developed a miss on a recent runup. I thought I'd give all of the electrical connections a jiggle because it worked great the last time I used it. Locally, the temps have fluctuated enough to cover the outside of the plane with a lot of condensation.

After removing the cowl, I unplugged and replugged-in all of the connections in the Lightspeed system. Turned out to be what the doctor ordered. My next runup was flawless. Whatever minor corrosion that existed was removed. I take that experience to mean that I should fly more so the vibration will help keep minor corrosion on the connectors from forming or somehow sealout moisture with dielectric grease or something else that anyone here might suggest.

Mike

alcladrv said:
My Lightspeed Plasma II also developed a miss on a recent runup. I thought I'd give all of the electrical connections a jiggle because it worked great the last time I used it. Locally, the temps have fluctuated enough to cover the outside of the plane with a lot of condensation.

After removing the cowl, I unplugged and replugged-in all of the connections in the Lightspeed system. Turned out to be what the doctor ordered. My next runup was flawless. Whatever minor corrosion that existed was removed. I take that experience to mean that I should fly more so the vibration will help keep minor corrosion on the connectors from forming or somehow sealout moisture with dielectric grease or something else that anyone here might suggest.

Mike
Getting off topic here, but...I soldered my Lightspeed coil connectors on, and I ended up providing plenty of strain relief on the wires. We're talking 2nd iteration of my coil wiring, though. Since then, absolutely no issues in over 1000 flight hours.

Light Speed Notes

I appreciate the input on the ignition. I put everything back together and it runs fine. No idea why it was missing so bad last time I went out to fly... :confused: Would really rather have found a smoking gun then to go fly knowing it may still be lurking.....
I cleaned the plugs (only 25 hours on them) and re-routed the wiring to separate the sensor feed from the output to the coils. The installer did not do this, but it ran fine for 25 hours. I'll be keeping an eye on the coil connections in the future.
Thanks again all - sure appreciate your help!
Dave

Back