What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using Strobe to Time LS Plasma

db1yg

Well Known Member
Howdy Folks,

I have over 112 hrs on my RV9a to date and it is equiped with an ECi0360 with a LS Plasma III on the right side. It has the Hall Effect sensor mounted where the right mag would normally go (in the old days!)--standard mag on the left. I have checked the timing using the standard buzz box for the mag and the green light on the Hall effect for the LS. However, Klaus at LS says to use an automotive strobe light to accurately time the LS system (and the mag) and I was wondering what procedure you use to do this--specifically; did you make a pointer to mount on the case split that points at the back of the ring gear timing indications--do you stand next to the wing to point the strobe at the pointer--did you get a special small strobe to mount on the engine case--you get the idea. My LS directions do not have this level of detail. I would like to insure accurate timing and would like to hear from some folks who have developed an easy procedure.

Cheers,

db1yg

Dave, I mounted (temporarily) a wire, maybe a .040" safety wire, on the baffle pointing forward towards the aft end of the ring gear. There are timing marks on that surface. You may want to add additional marks if you need them. I visually aligned the pointer with the case halves.

I had another person stand just to the left of the firewall and hold the timing light while at idle to check. You do this check with and without the MAP connected.

Alex,

Thanks for the info. I will make up a pointer and use the method you describe. I have the timing marks on the back of the ring gear in white on my black gear. I assume I won't have a problem seeing the marks with the strobe 4-5 ft away??..

Thanks again!

Cheers,

db

Whoever is holding the strobe light won't be that far away, more like 3 feet. Caution is obviously in order...

I guess I need more specifics as I have the same mag and Lightspeed setup on my -7A. Could someone post a picture of specifically how and where the pointer is attached? What is the timing mark that you're looking to lineup the pointer with? Do you run the engine at a specific rpm? Do you rotate the Hall Effect sensor while the engine is running much like you'd rotate a distributor in the old car repair days?

I got the plane built, but maintenance and setup is a whole area of expertise that I need to learn, also. Thanks for your help.

Mike

Back