What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jet-A Dreams: Rolls RR300 Turbine?

the_other_dougreeves

Well Known Member
Rolls-Royce has announced the new RR300 turbine, a derivative of the R250 in use in many helicopters and a few fixed wing applications (e.g., some 210 and Bonanza applications). The thing weighs 215lb, has FADEC, makes 240 Hp continuous / 300 take-off and has a SFC of 0.76 lb/Hp-hr at max cruise (240Hp on 26 gal/hr).

Sounds like an interesting option for the RV-10 with one small exception ... oh yeah, the price. How much is that, you ask? Well, if you have to ask.... :D

The Bonanza prop jet never took off

I guess the RR bought the Alison 250. The lower HP is interesting, the others where at least 350 hp. What is their market? Hummmm, do they want to deal with homebuilders and kit plane manufactures. I read the part about optional installation kit and owner / operator support.

I am way more excited about this power plant than the Innodyn.

I love the front compressor and gear box. Who is going to make that drive and prop/prop governor? The engine out put is 6,000 RPM. It will need some kind of drive shaft and prop drive. With out the installation, mount, controls, instrumentation and most important, prop drive, gear box, governor and prop than its not worth even looking at. Its not like a Lycoming you can bolt a wood prop on, connect a fuel line and throttle cable and go.

The exhaust is mid engine pointed up. That will look pretty awesome with two big SS stacks sticking out the top/side of the cowl.

The Bonanza TurboProp conversion has been around for a while (20 years?), way before all the modern single engine turbo prop planes, like the utilitarian Caravan or pressurized Plautus, Socata and Piper Mirage (all similar single engine King Air turboprop like business aircraft).

The Bonanza conversion was never really was that popular. I read some reviews, what 15-20 years ago when they first came out, and they where not all stellar for two reasons:

One was fuel burn, tip tanks NEEDED. The extra fuel cut into the payload, burn cuts into range.

Two, what will also kill a RV10, Vne, you just can't get the altitude speed capability to use all that excessive (altitude) HP.​

However the Bonaza jet was the only game in town back than. However the new off the shelf single engine turboprops are not cheap, well into the +2 mil range.

With that said is would be cool and cost a boat load. As you say if you have to ask. My guess is a new engine and prop would put a dent in 1/4 to 1/3 mil, but I'd not be surprised if it was more. That still will not overcome the fuel burn, range, W&B and fuel burn issues. Is it awesome though? Yes :D

If you want a turbo prop or turbine it would be cheaper to buy a used business turbo prop or entry level Biz jet. I have to admit the Lancair IV-P is a better fit with the turbine, especially the pressurized version. I just can't see sucking O2 all the time, so an unpressurized RV-10 may not be as attractive? If you got the money than heck yes.

I always pointed to the direct drive Garrett TPE331 and Alison 250 turbines as better engines than the pie-in-the-sky Innodyn. The Lancairs use the (gas drive) PT6 clone/copy from Eastern Europe the Walter. The good thing about the Walter is it has the whole prop drive / governor thing worked out. The bad news its a monster, too big for even the RV10.

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
I guess the RR bought the Alison 250. The lower HP is interesting, the others where at least 350 hp. What is their market? Hummmm, do they want to deal with homebuilders and kit plane manufactures. I read the part about optional installation kit and owner / operator support.
Yes, they own the ex-Alison line engines. I see the market for the RR300 as small turbine Helos, e.g., newly announced Robinson R66. I doubt that they will market to homebuilts, but I do see a market in the retrofit / conversion market. The key will be power and price.

There are plenty of P210 and Malibu turboprop conversions out there; these use the Alison 250 and PT6A respectively. A 300Hp turboprop might make sense for older long-body Mooneys, etc, but it doesn't have enough power to compete against the likes of the PT6A - JetProp conversions have a flat-rated 560Hp! Columbia might be interested in the engine...

I think this would target turboprop conversions on Cessna 310's and 340's, not homebuilts.

Back