What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nosewheel vs Tailwheel

Well, I have had both on my RV7x.... call it a X for "Conversion"....

I like both types of configurations, but I do prefer the tail wheel. I have flown a few tailwheels including my Pitts S1C, but the RV is by no means a squirly aircraft on the ground. Having said that, if one relaxed during landing it could get interesting quickly. With some good dual with a tailwheel driver you have nothing to worry about about the tail wheel RV and your confidence will increase quickly.

One note, I use to approach in my 7A at 80 Kts, way too fast with it in the 7 configuration, my approach and flair in the tailwheel config is at 70 kts. Since the 3 point landing is in the full stall attitude, that additional speed just attributed to long landings waiting for the speed to burn off, if trying to wheel land, forget 80 knots, the plane is still flying. At 70 kts I find that I just level off, close the throttle, flair and at the exact time the mains contact the runway, check that attitude. I like to use wheel landings on long runways or anytime there is a substantial cross wind.

So that's my thoughts on that subject!

M

Well I have tried both and prefer the tail-wheel version. Why? More room in the cockpit to move your legs around in and my wife likes to draw her legs up towards the spar on long trips, with the gear leg in the way she can't bring up her right leg. More room to store things forward of the spar, like a water bottle etc.

Well I have tried both and prefer the tail-wheel version. Why? More room in the cockpit to move your legs around in and my wife likes to draw her legs up towards the spar on long trips, with the gear leg in the way she can't bring up her right leg. More room to store things forward of the spar, like a water bottle etc.

Actually, the gear weldment on the 7A is the perfect size to hold a water bottle.

I chose the taildragger over the nosedragger for a few reasons:

The taildragger looks "cooler" in my opinon.

The taildragger works better for takeoffs on soft runways (you are already in the low speed flight attitude)

Many of my buddys had no tailwheel time, so less people will ask to "borrow" it :)

That being said...

I think the nosedragger is safer to land in gusty crosswind conditions and have better forward visibility (although the taildragger has pretty good forward vis compared to a pitts)

motor mount?

Which motor mount would one use that has main gear mounts for the taildragger and a mount for the nose gear?

why would you bring a tail wheel in slower than a nose wheel? they are the same airplane, why not just bring the nose wheel in slower as well?

One note, I use to approach in my 7A at 80 Kts, way too fast with it in the 7 configuration, my approach and flair in the tailwheel config is at 70 kts. Since the 3 point landing is in the full stall attitude, that additional speed just attributed to long landings waiting for the speed to burn off, if trying to wheel land, forget 80 knots, the plane is still flying. At 70 kts I find that I just level off, close the throttle, flair and at the exact time the mains contact the runway, check that attitude. I like to use wheel landings on long runways or anytime there is a substantial cross wind.

So that's my thoughts on that subject!

M

Eighty knots is TOO fast with 7A also.

The typical 7 stalls at 56 knots clean and 51 knots dirty - that works out to an appropriate approach speed of 73 knots clean or 67 knots dirty - assuming 130% of stall is valid, which it is.

I say typical stall speeds with the observation the above numbers are mine, the factory numbers are about 6 knots less. Each airplane should be flight tested to determine stall speed before setting an appropriate approach speed.

The point being, you can not get a good landing out an approach that is not on proper speed. Too fast and runway is wasted slowing after the flare or the touch down is way above stall speed (not good in any airplane), too slow and there is insufficient energy to flare unless hanging on the prop.

There is no reason to fly the 7A faster than the 7. Both can and should be landed fully stalled if possible.

What about if you plan setting up your -8 for IFR flight. Would I've heard that if your going to be flying ifr(i plan on at least having the capability) then a tailwheel shouldn't be what you choose anyone care to chim in on this one.

I'm confused.

What does landing gear configuration have to do with instrument flight?

Recently flew with a great guy that took me on my first RV trip(awsome) and he asked if i planned on making it IFR after saying yes he said well then you won't want to go tailwheel. It just got me thinking is all. So i figured i'd ask some peps with some more time then myself

I'm afraid I'm with Mel on this one, Adam. When you pop out of the soup at decision height (or above) you land like any other flight. Wouldn't matter to me one way or the other how the wheels were laid out on an IFR-ship.

Landed on ice with a 90* xwind in Danny King's taildragger a couple years back (I was a pax). My confidence in TW aircraft went through the roof after that...

b,
d

Back