What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel stop near Galveston.

N395V

Well Known Member
Headed for Harlingen tomorrow and would like to stop around Galveston. Where would be a good stop for fuel and Llunch.

Thanks

www.airnav.com

Check local fuel prices then individually for on-field eateries if you don't get a local response.

I second the KLBX (Brazoria) idea - they have consistently had the best fuel price recently, and I routinely fly ther to fill up. Quick in and out. Galveston is a nice visit if you have time to stay and leave the field.

Paul

Thanks for the rec.

The stop was quick, fuel was cheap, service friendly, and theyn had a really neat old Sikorsky flying boat to look at. :)

The Sikorsky belonged to Howard Hughes. It sat at Hobby Airport for years before being restored. I saw it at Oshkosh after the restoration. It hasn't flown in several years, I believe because of a law suit over ownership.

Karl

Howard Hughes's Sikorsky purchased by Kermit Weeks

The Sikorsky belonged to Howard Hughes. It sat at Hobby Airport for years before being restored. I saw it at Oshkosh after the restoration. It hasn't flown in several years, I believe because of a law suit over ownership.

Karl

I just stumbled upon this really old thread, but for the sake of history, I thought I'd update the status. If this is the same airplane, and I'm quite sure it is, the Sikorsky once owned by Howard Hughes and sitting for several years in a Texas hangar has been recently purchased by Kermit Weeks and moved to his Fantasy of Flight restoration shops in Florida.

Kermit is good about posting his aviation adventures on his Facebook page, sometimes posting as many as 25 photos per day.

He documented the work his crew did to disassemble the Sikorsky and prepare it for transportation to Florida. Although landings at his FOF runway by privately owned aircraft are generally not permitted, there are several nearby airports where one might make a day trip with an RV to visit the Fantasy of Flight museum. Check ahead on the hours. I believe Kermit has recently reduced the number of hours the FOF museum is open to the public.

Back