What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which IFR GPS?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
I was trying to wait until after SnF to make my decision on which IFR GPS to use with dual GRT panel - 430W, 480, 530W. But I can't wait that long.

I think the 530 maybe out of the running due to height considerations (plus not getting a 530 would save some $$). I would like to hear from anyone that has used any 2 of the 3 boxes.

The 480 is my top choice at the moment, but I'm a bit concerned about it's long term future in the Garmin family.

Rick_A said:
I was trying to wait until after SnF to make my decision on which IFR GPS to use with dual GRT panel - 430W, 480, 530W. But I can't wait that long.

I think the 530 maybe out of the running due to height considerations (plus not getting a 530 would save some $$). I would like to hear from anyone that has used any 2 of the 3 boxes.

The 480 is my top choice at the moment, but I'm a bit concerned about it's long term future in the Garmin family.

Just got my 530W. What an incredible piece of equipment! I too agonized over which one to buy, but remember this.......the 480 doesn't have a worldwide map database. The 430/530 has a map datbase that includes highways, rivers, lakes, towns, etc, while the 480 only displays airway data.
While I will be flying occasional IFR, most of our flying would be VFR, and a geographical database will be nice!

Email me if you want more info.

Last edited:
My 430W came with a terrain database. Is that a new feature?

I'm not flying yet, so no impressions so far.

I have a 430

which i will upgrade to a "W" at some point...An amazing pice of equipment that one day I might understand how to use...:)

Frank
7a..36 hours of IFR training

frankh said:
which i will upgrade to a "W" at some point...An amazing pice of equipment that one day I might understand how to use...:)

Frank
7a..36 hours of IFR training

Do you have the Garmin simulator? I spent 4 hours on it yesterday, and I feel
like I have learned quite alot! I am so happy I bought this thing. 12g's is alot of money, but you only live once! Learning the WAAS shouldn't take too long.

Simulator

I did once but it got deleted from my PC...Good reminder I need to reload it.

Thanks

Frank

Hostage46 said:
Does GRT have a moving map function?

Yes it does - but it is not a VFR map - basicallly shows airports, Navaids, and special use airspace - IFR-type map. Also shows color coded terrain (500, 1000,2000 foot warnings).

At least, that's all it shows for now!

Paul

Moving map

I hadn't thought of the VFR map aspect. I was thinking the GRT would become my primary map, which I still think would be the case. One appeal of the 480 is the larger screen and better resolution compared to the 430.

Maybe I should plan on mounting a handheld for VFR - I already have a 196.

I have used the Garmin 480 and trained other pilots using it. As with any GPS navigator, learning the box before flying is a MUST. Garmin makes it much easier by use of their simulator. It appears that the 430/530 do not support airways in their database. The 480 does. Flying IFR, you will many times get clearance along airways. Trying to enter waypoints along the airway is a real hassel, especially airborne.

IMHO, take a really good hard look at how much "IFR" you will honestly be doing. In my opinion, you will get much more bang for the buck with a low-end IFR GPS plus a high-end HANDHELD!

The capabilities of handhelds are continuously making panel-mounted units look really LAME for the average day to day flying we tend to do. And a handheld will benefit you 99.9% of the time, while some high-end panel-mount will honestly benefit you less. Look at it objectively!

And for IFR flying, a very simple panel-mounted IFR GPS is all you need. Something to allow you to fly a GPS approach legally with the simplest of guidance. What more do you need? Imho, a handheld will actually provide better situational awareness when used as a "supplement" in the GPS approach scenario because of its superior screen quality.

Anyway, something to consider unless you have an unlimited budget.

WAAS approaches and terrain avoidance databases won't be found in cheap IFR boxes. The geographical database on the 430/530 is incredible! I think this is one of those things where you only get what you pay for. Personal preference, of course, but combining data from two units, and having handhelds strapped to the panel looks a little too "LSA" for such capable aircraft.

Last edited:
Yukon said:
WAAS approaches and terrain avoidance databases won't be found in cheap IFR boxes. The geographical database on the 430/530 is incredible! I think this is one of those things where you only get what you pay for. Personal preference, of course, but combining data from two units, and having handhelds strapped to the panel looks a little too "LSA" for such capable aircraft.
You must not have used a 496 yet! ;)

dan said:
You must not have used a 496 yet! ;)

Unless Garmin has upped the resolution in the 430/530 boxes, the 496 has a much better screen image too! Looking at the Garmin web page, it looks like they haven't upped the res.

I'd have to have a Garmin 1000, or their new experimental counterpart, to switch from a 496.

Note: I only have the 296, but it's screen resolution, though less than the new 496, still exceeds that of the 430/530 packages by quite a margin.

As to full IFR approach overlay, it would be back to the 430/530, or my old (and old data)195 Garmin handheld.

Back