What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What type of Carpet have you used?

BillC

Well Known Member
Hi all,
I'm at the 90% complete and 90% to go phase and starting to think about interior finishing touches. Other than the pre-made floor covering offered by Classis Aero and others, what have the "do it yourself" type installations used for carpeting. Aircraft grade (big $), boat grade (less $), automobile grade, or home use? In particular I'm thinking about the flammability issues as well as wearability.

Carpets

Mohawk Carpets here in Georgia is not only the world's largest flooring company but also makes most of the Airlines' FAA approved carpets. Of course, RV's only need a small remnant for our small birds.

Get a stiff backed carpet if you can. When many people get out of my 6A, they use their feet to push up and out instead of their upper body and arms. It causes the carpet to get displaced forward even though I use double-sided tape and mild threats to prevent it.

You can make a pattern from paper so you can get the shape right to go around the various braces, brackets, wires,etc.

It is a constant mx item keeping it where I want it.

Go to a commercial carpet dealer and buy a product that has a "class 1 fire rating". It will typically have nylon face yarns with a very low pile. It'll hold up like an anvil, and will self-extinguish in case it catches fire...

And buy a product made by Shaw Industries. The largest carpet manufacturer in the world, also located in Georgia, like that other brand. Of the two, Shaw consistantly gets the best rankings in industry surveys on cost, value, performance, service, and customer support. Also my employer.

;-)

I used Airtex. They have a nice line of carpet, fabric, glue, and that corrugated material for making interior wall panels. All their material comes with the fire certs.

Roberta

Suggestion - Use the rubber mat that comes in baseline pickup trucks - it is easy to clean, indestructable, and provides good dampening and noise insulation. Besides, it wont bunch up like carpet. Most interior supply companies will have it - locally

carpet

Along a diferent thought I put sound deadner in between the ribs of my -9. Then I fitted 1/4" plywood over the top.. If you do this before you put the top on the fusalage it is not hard to fit. Over the plywood I painted wingwalk This gives a good traction for backing up out of the seat and it don't bunch like carpet will. Also my aitport has a few sandburrs and they are hard to get out of a carpet. The plywood is in two parts, left and right with the center left metal. I would do it like that again. Works good, gives excelent traction and easy to clean.

Back