What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Loose Vetterman exhaust

Dgamble

Well Known Member
My Rv-6 has the Vetterman crossover exhaust, and the pipe that comes off of cylinder #2 is loose where it joins with the exhaust pipe. The two pipes are held together by a small (approx one inch) bar that itself is attached to each pipe with a nut and bolt. I can't tell if the bar is worn where the bolts pass through, or if the problem is with the length of the bar.

Are these parts available, and are there different sizes to adjust the tightness of the fit?

I hope I understood the question correctly. I also have the Vetterman exhaust on my -6A. The pipes are usually loose when cold, and the bar keeps them in position. The only problem I have had with my exhaust system is the hangar system.

However, Larry redesigned the hangar system, and since installing it, I have had no problems at all. (knock on wood).

Wes Hays
Winters, TX
RV-6A 740+ hrs
RV-7A finishing wings

Dave, have another RVer with hundreds of hours on their plane have a look at it. The joints you are talking about always have a little play. Since there is no reasonable way to communicate what you mean by "loose", it is tough to give advice. If the joint needs tightening, you can send it to Larry Vetterman and he will snug the joint up.

Here's the section that seems loose:

exhaustrc2.jpg

The other side is tight, so I assumed this side should be too.

AlexPeterson said:
Dave, have another RVer with hundreds of hours on their plane have a look at it. The joints you are talking about always have a little play. Since there is no reasonable way to communicate what you mean by "loose", it is tough to give advice. If the joint needs tightening, you can send it to Larry Vetterman and he will snug the joint up.

Last edited:
I have the same setup, and I suggest you take it apart. I had the same thing happen to me, and when I took it apart, this is what I found;
worn_bolt.jpg

I checked the other side and found the same thing occurring so I called Larry Vetterman for replacement parts (~$17 from what I remember). Good luck :) Rosie

PS: One size fits all, and I tightened the nut/bolts such that I could barely spin them with my finger...

Last edited:
Rosie -

Yep, that was it. Just one more question: what did you call the part when you called Larry?

From Rosie: I told him that I had an exhaust system from the late 90's, the one with the 'chain link' piece holding them together :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Saddle

I had the same problem and talked to Larry V. about it.

The part is called a "Saddle". He sent me replacement parts Saddle plus nuts and bolts, so I was able to fix the problem.

Some times as it was in my case it is difficult to remove the nut on the side nearest the engine. In this case you need to cut it off with a small cutting disk in a Dremel tool.

Hope this helps

Barry

Barry said:
The part is called a "Saddle".

Hope this helps
It does, thank you. It's always easier to know what to ask for.

You're right about the difficulty - the one on the top put up a real fight.

Back