What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument mounting nuts?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
It seems there are 2 options for mounting steam gauges in the panel - use Instrument mounting nuts (cage nuts) for about $3.20 per instrument or Nut rings for $6.50 per instrument. Any recommendations?

Does it make a difference if I decide to add Nulite lighting?

I used those instrument mounting nuts for some of mine. Worthless - I hate them. I haven't tried the nut ring thing - sounds like a good idea. I imagine you could make some yourself with a fly cutter and some nutplates.
I have the Nulite rings - shouldn't make any difference. They go in "front" of the instrument, so you just need slightly longer screws, that's all.

Last edited:
The instrument nuts need to be sized for the thickness of the instrument they are installed on. ACS sells then in varying lengths to accomodate the instruments. They clip into the screw hole of the instrument and are held in place by little tabs. Too often the tabs are pushed out by the attaching screw, allowing them to drop into your panel where you are forced into trying to locate them. I tried them and was completely aggravated by them. I wound up buying the nut rings which worked out very well. They have the four and three hole versions for the DG and Alt. or other instruments needing only three holes. Like Jordan said, use longer screws where you are using NuLites. Get Brass screws anodized or painted black if you don't want the brass showing. This will keep your compass from going crazy.

Roberta

Also standard brass nuts work fine. Not real convenient, but they sure are cheap. And how often do you remove your instruments?

Buy the nut rings. These make mounting and service a non-event. Use a couple of awls as guide pins to slide the instrument and ring into position, then you can fasten the other two corners with one hand. These rate up there with the Koger Sun Shade - not cheap, not absolutely necessary, but ....

You could also take the screws and insert them through the instrument, put the nut on the other end and use some 5 min JB Weld or epoxy to glue the nuts to the back of the instrument. When the glue sets just take out the screws and you should be good to go. Rough up the areas a little for a better mechanical bond.
Make sure you use brass nuts, as Mel says.

Nut rings and UMA gauges

I bought nut rings from Vans. They fit the compass, but did not fit the UMA ASI (Vans), or the UMA Altimeter (ACS) - the diameter of the instruments is larger than the nutring (1/32" to 1/16"). Trimming the ID of the nut ring did not help (left too little perimeter thickness). I haven't tried the Trutrak A/P or 2" CDI yet. Use the nutrings only if you know they will fit. I was going to give Stein's Grasshopper nuts ( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) a try - but it sounds like I should not bother.

cheers,
Ron
-10 finishing

Back