What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chocks ??

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I need a set of chocks that can be removed from inside the cockpit. I bought an Aeronca Champ with no electrical system to have something to fly while I'm finishing my RV-9A and need chocks that can be removed after getting in the plane. I've heard they are available but I can't find a source. Abyone know where I can get a set?

Thanks

How about tying a long enough rope to the chocks and then just pulling them in (or away from the wheel) after you're inside?

We always tied the tail down to something with a knot that could be released from in or near the cockpit when propping my buddies' champ... that seems far more secure than chocks if you're hand propping it by yourself.

Thomas

Chocks-on-a-rope is one solution, but any remote release tail tie is better. Your Champ will jump a set of chocks if you flip it with the throttle forward.

It happens. One of my buddies propped his A65 at full throttle after doing the flooded engine routine. It jumped the chocks. He got out of the way of the prop, and had enough presence of mind to grab a wing strut as it went past and swing the airplane into a hangar door. The guys in the other hangars said it sounded a lot like a machine gun. Result was a broken wood prop, an engine overhaul, a cracked wing spar, and some new sheet metal for the hangar. He considered all that to be cheap compared to watching the airplane fly away on it's own.

tailwheel release

One of my friends has a remote tailwheel tiedown unlock inside his flybaby. It works great... write me if you want details.
Thanks
Brian

Tail tiedown

Many years ago I owned a J3 Cub and had the same issue. My cure was a quick release mounted to a sturdy fence post near the hangar. The unit was actually a glider tow hook (the unit for the tow plane.) I had a very light line that would release the line around the tailwheel from the cockpit and then I could just drop it out the door.

John Clark
RV8 N18U
KSBA

Wet blanket

I read in th GAN an accident reports a few months ago about an airplane getting away and chewing up its tied down neighbors. Let alone scaring the pants off the pilot and bystanders.

The I read the summary at the end, you know, the authorities findings.

I had already figured out by the article that whoever was propping (and flying) had missed their thinking pill that morning. But what caught my attention was that the FAR's require that there be 2 people for the operation and that each person must be either a Licensed Pilot or a Licensed mechanic.

Anyway thats what I remember about the article there was probably a little more to it.

As a pilot and a mechanic I have propped a lot of planes, but always had someone in the cockpit that really knew what they were doing. I just did it that way.

The bottom line is that if your propping alone you are breaking the FAR's and if something go wrong and planes or people get chewed, your insurance won't cover the damages and won't protect you from using your license.

I wouldn't want someones 100,000 dollar project become useless to them for any of those reasons, especially someone getting prop chewed.

Go ahead and prop when you need to, just do it right.

Get some kids to help

That's how I learned to fly - hanging out at the airfield waiting for someone who needed some help hand propping their airplane. That probably wouldn't work today, since there are so few planes left that don't have a starter.

Are there any kids in the neighborhood that want to learn to fly? :)

I start the engine with the tail tied and chocks but after the engine is idling and the tail is untied it would be nice to pull the chocks from inside. I've already had the engine start with the mag switch off. The key was in the seat. NEW SWITCH!!.
The FAR says you just have to have a "properly trained" person in the plane holding the brakes if you choose to do it that way.

Flying the Champ is great fun but it sure gave me a renewed incentive to finish the RV-9A. Brand new everything verses 60 year old everything is no contest.

Thanks

Jim-

A little OT, but if you're flying a Champ, why did you choose the 9A instead of the -9?

Thomas

There was only one time I didn't tie the tail on my Interstate Cadet & it was the one time I had a problem. I had just switched hangars & when I went to start it at the new location, hmmm, no place to tie the tail. Another guy with a Luscombe used to start the plane from behind the prop with his foot as a chock in front of one wheel. Well, I'll give it a try.

That day the plane was stubborn, maybe plugs were starting to foul a little. Nudge the throttle just a little tiny bit (I thought), hit the prop & in an instant she was up to 1700 rpm and pushing my foot across the pavement in front of the wheel & there was no way I could stop it--it was accelerating! Grab the strut, swing under and around, open the door while holding onto the strut, reach in, turn off the switch & hang on while everything runs down to a stop. At the last swing of the prop, it lightly taps the grill on a pickup, then kicks back & taps it again with back side of the prop. No damage! Whooee!

I have NEVER started it since without the tail tied securely or someone in the cockpit. I put a chock in front of one wheel, tie the tail, start the plane. Then untie at the tiedown, hold onto the rope while untying at the tailwheel, then pull the chock as I get into the plane. Kind of a hassle, but easier than fixing the plane & someone else's stuff. It does limit my flying a little, as I need won't park it anywhere I can't tie the tail or get help starting it.

Dick Scott
RV-9A wings
'41 Interstate Cadet

I've got 500 hours in nose wheel and 15 in Tail dragger. If the time were reversed I'm sure I would be building a 9. I sure like the way they look on the ground.

Jim

When I had my T-Craft and before when I was flying friend's J-3's and Champs I would ask the line boy (or girl) to stand with the back of their legs against the HS. Then I would stand behind the right side of the plane with my left foot in front of the right wheel before starting it.

With the T-Craft I would also set the parking brake.

As for the FAR's about hand propping, I think they say you need a qualified person at the controls, not a licensed pilot or mechanic, if I remember right.

I've never tried this, but I should think that a snap-shackle on a rope would work.
Tie the rope with the shackle onto something secure
Clip the shackle to a tail tie down ring or similar
Bring the release line to the cockpit
Start 'er up
Jump in and trip the shackle release
Toss the release line.

http://www.go2marine.com/category.do?no=12429

Should be a bit cheaper than a tow hook setup and nothing is permanently attached to the plane.

fl-mike said:
I've never tried this, but I should think that a snap-shackle on a rope would work.
Tie the rope with the shackle onto something secure
Clip the shackle to a tail tie down ring or similar
Bring the release line to the cockpit
Start 'er up
Jump in and trip the shackle release
Toss the release line.

http://www.go2marine.com/category.do?no=12429

Should be a bit cheaper than a tow hook setup and nothing is permanently attached to the plane.
Snap shackle works very well. I used to use one when starting my Cub.

What reg?

30 years ago, after I got my pilot's license, I bought a champ. I used to fly it every morning after work. I tied the tail to the tiedown, and propped it with one hand from behind the prop, and the other hand holding onto the airplane. One morning, the airport manager came out and was very upset that I was starting the plane solo, saying it was illegal. He showed me in the regs where this was stated, something to the effect that "a qualified person at the controls..."

Two years ago, a friend said that he usually flew his Luscombe solo, and had to tie the tail down and start it by his self. I told him that it was illegal, "a qualified person at the controls..." He said that there was no such regulation, so I took this as a challenge for me to find the reg. So I looked and looked, and looked some more, and I could not find any such regulation.

I concluded that the regulation was on the books 20-30 years ago, but for some reason, the Feds took it out. If anyone can find this reg, I wouild sure appreciate it if you could point me to it.

BTW, regulation or not, this is just not a smart thing to do. I'll admit that I used to do this with my second champ, also, but then who said I was smart. That second champ decided to go flying by itself one day, but that's another story, having nothing to do with starting the engine.

Thanks,
Tracy.

Back