What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stein Air Cockpit Swivel Type Air Vents

alcladrv

Well Known Member
I bought the 1 3/4 size. With minor reworking, I was able to install them in my flying -7A in place of the Van's plastic OEM air vents. It was -5F on my 3 hour flight last Sunday and the Stein Air vents didn't leak a bit, quite unlike Van's vents.

When opened up, they sure let in a lot of air. So, next time, I'd probably install the smaller 1 1/4 size. But, I have yet to use them on a 90 degree day.

So is the hose connection the same size as the OEM vents or did you have to make some kind of reducing bushing? I don't suppose the mounting holes line up with the OEM vents either. That would be asking for just too much.

The closed cell foam stuck in my vent air inlets and the duct tape over the outlets gets a little tacky looking for 6 months of Minnesota winters.

Rick

I used Van's kit supplied 2" hose tubing. It is a snug fit on the 2" plenum on the back side of Stein Air's vents. I secured the tubing with a tie-wrap.

I used an .040 piece of aluminum whose outside square dimensions were cut to match Van's vents. I used a hole saw to make the necessary hole for Stein Air's vents, drilled the mounting holes to match Van's, painted them to match the panel (very little of the piece ends up being exposed) and mounted them in the same holes used for Van's vents.

I was looking to use some 1/16 aluminum, but I didn't have any scraps big enough. .040 worked just fine, however.

I'll try to include some pictures when I can.

Mike

Last edited:
I also replaced the plastic kit vents with the SteinAire units (the big ones).

After making a couple of flights over the White Mountains of Arizona at 11-12K' with the temps pretty cold I felt the cost was justified---the plastic units leaked so much that my left arm was pretty cold soaked upon arrival in Northern Az.

The large units are a tight fit but I did not have to make any mods to the panel on my 9a tip up. I did make a new set of "frames" for the units and the 2" tubing Vans provided did work--although it was tight--as Mike mentioned. The panel pic on last weeks RV of the Week (949DB) shows the new vents--I bought the black anodized units.

BTW, they DO NOT leak!!!! Good product Stein!!

Cheers,

Dave B.
RV9a/ECi 0360/James Cowl/Catto Prop--105+ hrs and a permanent smile!!!

Just replaced Van's plastic ones with the nice aluminum ones after 1600 hrs and 10 yrs of flying. Great improvement. Used Steins, they are less expensive, but I think Vans metal ones are of similar design. You get what you pay for, wish I had done this from the get go. No problem changing them over. Larry

Back