What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon AOA pitot

rv8r

Has anyone some experience with the Dynon AOA pitot? Is is not airtight for draining reasons and I want to make shure that i can take the same pitot-line for my steamgauges as well. I dont want to do my first hop with inaccurate airspeed readings. Due to the drain-venthole there is no way to test the whole system on the ground. If someone has a similar setup it would be good for my peace of mind to know that it works---or not.
Thanks, Dirk

Hook'm together

I had the same question & called Dynon some while back.
They said that I could just use a regular tee fitting to hook up to the standard AS.

The Dynon EFIS can use a completely standard pitot if you don't want AoA, and thus the Dynon pitot is a standard design. You can use it for all your equipment.

All pitots have drain holes, we're just unique in that we can't be blocked off because of our design. It does make testing more difficult, but it won't effect you in the air at all.

If the Dynon Pitot drain hole can't be blocked off, how can an IFR check be done? Do you have to swap in another pitot for the test?

Sucking on the static is equivalent to blowing on the pitot, so you can calibrate both your altimeter and ASI using static pressure (vacuum) only.

Leave the pitot open and apply suction (through a manometer) on the static port (block one port).

Vern Little

Vern, this doesn't make sense to me

vlittle said:
Sucking on the static is equivalent to blowing on the pitot, so you can calibrate both your altimeter and ASI using static pressure (vacuum) only.

Leave the pitot open and apply suction (through a manometer) on the static port (block one port).

Vern Little

It seems that instrument errors could be on the pitot side and your technique would not detect these. Mathematically you are right, but on the practical side, I don't think that this will work.

Kent

bullojm1 said:
If the Dynon Pitot drain hole can't be blocked off, how can an IFR check be done? Do you have to swap in another pitot for the test?

No need. I had mine done and it wasn't a problem at all. Small leaks don't effect real air speed readings like they do with a monometer.

bullojm1 said:
Isn't the IFR check only on the static system side?

As a quick FYI, the heated pitot that we will be releasing shortly (I promise) will have leak holes that can be plugged to do checks more easily.

Kevin Horton said:
Isn't the IFR check only on the static system side?

Kevin,

You are correct, the IFR check is only on the static side. However, if you run the static system up to 20,000 ft and leave sea level pressure in the pitot system, you will be purchasing a new airspeed indicator.

Pat

If all you have in the system is a Dynon EFIS for your ASI, you will not damage it with a 20K pressure differential across the pitot input.

As stated above, this probably isn't true with mechanical ASI's.

4kilo said:
You are correct, the IFR check is only on the static side. However, if you run the static system up to 20,000 ft and leave sea level pressure in the pitot system, you will be purchasing a new airspeed indicator.
Ahh. That makes sense. That much delta pressure would be equivalent to about 535 kt. Our low speed ASIs probably wouldn't like that very much.

How shortly (you promise)

dynonsupport said:
As a quick FYI, the heated pitot that we will be releasing shortly (I promise) will have leak holes that can be plugged to do checks more easily.

I need to order a Pitot probe soon and would really like the heated AOA Pitot probe.

Any estimate on when the heated unit will be ready? Would it be silly to order the unheated probe today?

Thanks,
Tim

At this point, we'd recommend you wait if you want a heated pitot. It's that close. We are not taking orders yet, but we will post here when we are.

Isn't 3 years of this promise enough already!?!?!

dynonsupport said:
At this point, we'd recommend you wait if you want a heated pitot. It's that close. We are not taking orders yet, but we will post here when we are.

OK, I rarely spout off too harshly...but....for the love of Pete already....

I along with everyone else have heard nearly this exact statement for going on FOUR YEARS now! ENOUGH ALREADY !!!!

It's been on your website since 2003. Here's a quote from your website on Aug.12, 2003. Dynon's heated pitot (available early 2004 for an introductory price of $199)"

Just pipe down about "almost...soon...just about...shortly....before too long" already.

Let me know when I can order one - it's that simple! I love your company, I love your products (I fly behind it), but I detest this stringing everyone along for a product that has been YEARS in the making and YEARS in the marketing. I wish all manufacturers would just NOT RELEASE ANYTHING until it was ACTUALLY AVAILBLE to buy. Until I can buy one it's still smoke and mirrors / vaporware - no matter what you say.

The fact is that as it sits this minute I cannot buy one, I cannot order one, nor I have I even ever seen one.

Just knock off the "hold on a little longer" sales/marketing rhetoric until we can actually buy them. Until they are shipping they don't exist for us a customers so why continue to perpetuate this? If I were you I'd leave the marketing to your marketing people and focus on support....that is support of products that actually are being sold, shipped & installed. As a person (anonymous as you choose to be) your knowledge in support is obvious and you are due that respect, but your sales/marketing skills leave a lot to be desired.

Sorry for the harsh words and it's nothing personal but it needed to be said.

Cheers,
Stein.

P.S., just annoyed with lots of mfgrs promising things YEARS before they deliver them. I'd rather not know about it until I can buy it. If I had a nickle for every product I'd waited for that was "really close"...well, you know :)

Ironically, just hours before this last post, we had sent an email to customers that had already received or ordered the first version of our Heated AOA/Pitot Probe, giving them the opportunity to pre-order the new version at the pricing originally offered to them. Everyone else can order Friday, Febuary 23rd. Shipments will start that same day.

*Note to Dynon Customers: If you had an ACTUAL ORDER in for our old Heated AOA/Pitot Probe or are one of the few that took actual delivery, we've tried to get in touch with you. If you're haven't heard from us, please email [email protected] to inquire about eligibility for our pre-order program.

Tested

My RV4 flew the first time yesterday with the steam gauge airspeed indicator and the EFIS feeded through the one Dynon pitot-line. I started this thread to find out if it works, it was said that it will work and it does. Exactly the same (correct) readings on both instruments. NICE!

Back