What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sunday 4 Feb? How About Hilltop Lakes Breakfast?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Sorry I can't make the Cooper's BBQ on Saturday - anyone out there interested in Breakfast at Hilltop Lakes on Sunday?

Paul

Assuming I can fix my broken exhaust hanger tomorrow, I can make it!

Does that mean I gotta get up early??

How's 0930 at Hilltop Lakes? You only have half as far to go John - you can sleep in!

I'm in...

...assuming I can do all the things 25F temps make harder (fuel it, start it, etc ;) )

b,
dr

What is the designator for Hilltop Lakes -- or what town is it near??

Cheers,
db

It's about 13 miles west of the Leona VOR, not really by a town. The designator is 0TE4 - but it's not in the Garmin databases. On the sectional though!

Paul

John,
If I give you one of my exhaust brackets does that earn me a back seat ride to breakfast??

see you at the airport.

Hilltop Lakes

Paul

I just talked to Jon Baker and he said we could meet you there tomorrow.

Sorry Doug... still building... i will be riding with Jon B. I see Dave P got his so I called and I am up in a few weeks to receive.

So the weather looks good and my exhaust hanger is fixed (thanks Jim!)... we'll be there at 0930.

Since I'm pretty new to these RV chow runs, what's the usual air-to-air freq; 123.45/122.75?

jbDC9 said:
So the weather looks good and my exhaust hanger is fixed (thanks Jim!)... we'll be there at 0930.

Since I'm pretty new to these RV chow runs, what's the usual air-to-air freq; 123.45/122.75?

The CTAF at Hilltop is coincidently 122.75, so that's what I usually find folks on...

Paul

Great weather made for a terrific day of flying. Krash and I flew down in Flash with Scorch in formation. I got my first taste of flying an RV in about 10 years as we flew patterns waiting for Scorch.

Here's the group for breakfast:

hilltop_group_web.jpg

On the way back, we formed up for a low pass over the runway:

hilltop_low-pass_web.jpg

I got my first taste of flying formation - really dug it. A couple photos of Ross while Doug was flying:

scorch_formation1_web.jpg

scorch_formation2_web.jpg

Great trip. Thanks, Doug!

Envy!

And there I was on Sunday, in the back pasture- working on clearing brush, etc. And then all of the sudden, here comes the familiar sound of RV engines churning overhead. A quick glance up by my wife (also helping with the outdoor duties) and she says "hey, aren't those RV's"? About that time, here comes Ross (in the lead) and Doug, screaming overhead at about 180mph at about 1000'! I simply said "it sure is RV's, and that is Ross and Doug". Now, under my breath I was saying "yes honey, those are RV's, one of which I could be in the shop building....if I wasn't remodeling the entire house, renovating/grading/planting a 2-acre pasture, re-fencing the entire place", etc. :(

Doug, I am over in SW Arlington, just a few miles East of Loop 820 and I-20. You guys frequently buzz the house, and it's great! I just wish I weren't on the John Deere seeing all of this. :D

But I suppose it's a good thing that my wife recognizes the rumble of a few RV's screaming overhead!

Now we know where you live, Gary! Glad you enjoyed the 'show'! I guess you live in the 2,000' sector near the Ranger VOR that we use when heading south out under the class B? Yep, we were probably 1,800MSL right about there lining up for the approach. My passenger was the 'other' Doug Reeves on that flight and I'm sure he was looking around - me on the other hand was quoting the wingman mantra...."hinge/spinner, hinge/spinner, hinge/spinner";) .

We'll definitely fly over again, as we got to hook up with some of the Houston gang for breakfast (at Hilltop).

Best,
doug

DeltaRomeo said:
My passenger was the 'other' Doug Reeves on that flight and I'm sure he was looking around - me on the other hand was quoting the wingman mantra...."hinge/spinner, hinge/spinner, hinge/spinner";) .
All I can say is that (1) I learned a lot about the mental focus required for formation flight and (2) I wish I has used the camera to get a video clip of the barrel roll crossover ... sweet! And oh, yeah, (3) I didn't crash into Scorch. ;)

Back