What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oregon flyers

S12kid

I'm New Here
Is there any Vans pilots around the Albany, OR area (aiport code: S12)? Last night I was sitting on my front porch saw about 3 Vans (not sure what variant) racing going around in circles very close, and then saw about 5 or 6 all in formation later on. It was awesome! :D Did any of those planes happen to be you guys, or just some other Vans pilots? ;)

Dylan (not a pilot) :)

Yes i was one of them...:)

Mine was the blue and white 7a that turned out to be the fastest of the bunch...Ha ha!

It was Scott Waddells first flight in a georgeous 7a, he was going pedal to the metal doing engine break in of course.

I was mainly on his right wing keeping in fairly tight, The 6a that was following was supposed to be the camera ship, 'cept the camera was left on the ground..OH well.

Were were at about 3k indicating 170kts in level flight,

Waay cool...and faster than Nascar...:)

Frank

Hahaha! That is so awesome, I was sitting on my porch watching you guys, man you guys got close to each other on some of those turns! :D Did you guys plot a course or something? Also, did some more Vans RV's join you guys later on, and did you land at S12 (I watched your approach and thats what it looked like)? :cool:

Dylan :)

Edit: Also whats your reg number on your plane? Got any pics of it? I couldnt see it that well, I was going to videotape you guys, but decided not to because it was getting dark so it probably wouldnt come out to good. :D

Last edited:
Then there were 4

There were four of us eventually, one of our buddies in an RV6 came up to join the dogfight...I mean air race..I mean formation flight...:)

Nope, no real plan. Scott of course was focussed on flying his new plane and simply intended to circle the airport...I just kept up close to keep an eye out for traffic and to see if anything fell off.

It probably looked closer than it was...If you tink about it, if the inside airplane is doing a left turn his outside wingtip would go upwards in the roll. So if I'm on his outside I had to be higher than him or his outside wing would prevent him from seeing where i was...Thats a little unerving so I always pull up so I am slightly on top of him in the turns.

The distance apart is still the same but the effect from the ground is to look like we are flying closer.

Yes we landed at S12 just as it was getting dark...I think the other flight of RV's was a different group, there is a large contingent of RV's at Independance that regularly fly formation...Thats only 5 minutes at RV speed. I bet it was them.

Have you ridden in an RV Dylan?

If not, and you can get your parents permission (I believe your 16 correct?), i.e sign a waver one of us can make that happen.

I have to warn you though, aviation is a very addictive and very expensive sport...:)

Frank 7a

frankh said:
Have you ridden in an RV Dylan?

If not, and you can get your parents permission (I believe your 16 correct?), i.e sign a waver one of us can make that happen.

I have to warn you though, aviation is a very addictive and very expensive sport...:)

Frank 7a

Wow, thats amazing I never thought one of you would even offer someone like me a ride, but I dont know. WARNING: This is going to sound entirely stupid, but I have a pretty bad fear of flying, not to much on airliners, but small planes, yea, Ive only flown on a Cessna 172 a couple of times. :D But yea I'd have to think about it, and of course parents. ;)

Thats OK

I have a friend who's been trying to pluck up the courage to go flying for over a year...There's no rush.

Cheers

Frank

Back