What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AlTrak activity setting

dan

Well Known Member
For those who are flying with a 2-axis TruTrak autopilot or a standalone
AlTrak, what "activity" setting do you use?

The AlTrak has an option for selecting Low, Medium, or High activity based
on whether one of the pins on the connector is grounded, left
open, or connected to +12V.

I'm likely going to install a switch to select it, but I'd rather not
bother, i.e. if "everybody" just uses Medium...

Setting

The RV's use a very low activity setting. In all the DII VS and Sorcerer we use Activity set to 1 or 2 max. I will venture to say that for your RV7 you are not going to need more tha low. To much activity drives me crazy during flight.
Alex D

Activity is in the setup menu on the Digiflight II. You could try out different settings in somebody's plane that has that model. Although I don't know how the 0-24 setting would map to low/med/hi.

For those who are flying with a 2-axis TruTrak autopilot or a standalone
AlTrak, what "activity" setting do you use?

The AlTrak has an option for selecting Low, Medium, or High activity based
on whether one of the pins on the connector is grounded, left
open, or connected to +12V.

I'm likely going to install a switch to select it, but I'd rather not
bother, i.e. if "everybody" just uses Medium...

Dan, I found the default (open pins) setting to be fine on the AlTrak in my RV-6. The setting gave the device a "soft" response which held altitude well without the pilot feeling the system working. My plane's CG is usually in the rear half of the range; for a plane with a forward CG, a more sensitive setting might be best.

A good test I found while setting up my Trio EZ-3 was to initiate a standard rate turn with the system engaged. The device should be able to regain any lost altitude after 90 degrees of turn. Even though the AlTrak wasn't as tight as the EZ-3, it flew the test pretty well at the default setting.

Back