What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Dreaming - Quick Day Trip

the_other_dougreeves

Well Known Member
My father was in town last week and we decided to make the most of the quick bit of nice weather. We are both building time in the CT and deciding if we're both good enough at and like this flying thing enough. We start pondering moving towards a higher performance airplane. No decisions yet, but a -7A is beginning to sound good to us ....

We went off to GLE for $2.70 100LL and a guy in a SF.260D pulled in. Beautiful airplane. I told the driver "You are a very lucky man", to which he replied "Yes, I know".

sf260_web.jpg

We head to ADM for lunch. A T-37 is there with the crew enjoying some Blue Pig BBQ (Thumbs up on the brisket!). We suspect that they don't know that someone in USAF copied Flash's paint scheme. ;) While we are there, two more T-37s arrive, doing a beautiful break over the field to enter the pattern.

Tweety_web.jpg

We head to Lake Texoma to do some low and slow flight - the CT loves 80 kt, the Rotax purring along at 4000 RPM, and head to GYI for some patterns. There, we run into a Dash-8 driver for Mesa who has purchased a beautiful 1946 Funk. The CT looks out of place next to this beautiful aircraft on the ramp.

funk2_web.jpg

Old-and-new-1_web.jpg

We head home and do our 50 hour inspection, which is pretty simple. I appreciate being a skinny guy.

humgry_CT_web.jpg

We finish the day enjoying a beautiful evening, thinking about how, less than a year ago, neither of us were pilots. Now we have an airplane at our disposal and go flying when we want. How cool is that?

no-wind_web.jpg

Fly safe and fast.
Doug

Back