What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Breaking Tire bead

I remove the valve core, then stand on the tire. You may have to bounce up and down on it a few times to break it loose. When you install the new tire, coat the inside of the tire and the bead area with talcum powder. It will come off much easier next time.

I used jump up and down on mine. But I like that wooden lever idea much better!

Just make sure to put a thick piece of corrugated cardboard or plywood under the wheel to not gouge the rim on concrete or whatever's under the wheel.

Vise

You can use your vise.

I also have a woodworking bench with wooden vises that I use for breaking the beads.

Regards,

Start by removing the valve core.

I have been known to jack my pickup truck up with the floor jack, place a block of wood between the frame and my aircraft tire, then slowly lower the truck till the bead breaks away from the rim. Usually have to do this on both inside and outside of the tire.

Be carefull not to bend the brake disc. I have been known to use wood on both sides of the tire to keep the disc from touching the cement floor.

Care must be taken to make sure the tire and wood does not fly up and hit you or the airplane.

This technique wooks well if you know what you are doing and recognize the dangers. I hope I wrote the info down that you can understand what I do and are able to make sure it is the right way to do it for your airplane tire.

Use your drill press (of course with no drill bit and with it turned off). Press the chuck against the side wall of the tire.
Aaron.

STOP!

TIME OUT!!!! Please do the following:
1. remove the valve stem
2. Unbolt the halves of the rim (we are assuming that the tire is off the aircraft)
3. Use the PROPER TOOLS...(not screwdrivers or feet) and break the bead... you do NOT want to do anything that would ding or put any stress on the wheel halves. Pay the money and get the 12-16790 aircraft spruce p/n tool that is designed to break the bead (.. It will pay for itself.. trust me!
4. Use talcum powder to put the New tube in the New tire and put the red dot at the valve stem and reassemble... press lightly to hear metal to metal for the wheel halves... insert hardware.. etc.... Please do not use anything else than the right tools. If you use other tools.. you can scratch or crack the wheel halves and cause a real bad accident... ie lose your hand or the airplane.
Best
Brian

hey gary,

what was that set up brad's hangar buddy used the other day? go kart rims and a bar bar weight pressing down onto the go kart rim and the RV tire?

Back