What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DeVilbiss HVLP Guns

DSmith

Well Known Member
Patron
I am getting ready to paint the interior of my RV-7A and figure I just as well buy the gun I'll need for the exterior painting. Do any of you good folks have any experience with the DeVilbiss GTi 620G Millennium HVLP gun?

I found them at Kustom Paint Superstore on E-Bay for $289.99. That looked like a pretty price - do you know a better place to buy them?

Thanks for your help.
Danny

DSmith said:
Do any of you good folks have any experience with the DeVilbiss GTi 620G Millennium HVLP gun? I found them at Kustom Paint Superstore on E-Bay for $289.99. That looked like a pretty price - do you know a better place to buy them?
Danny, that's an excellent price on a gun I've used to paint three aircraft now. Be sure and avail yourself of the cup liner system allowing you to shoot with the gun in any angle. This is invaluable for painting the interior... not sure how you'd do a proper job without it.
Paint info for my RV-3B here.
Paint info for my RV-8 here.
I used the GTi 600/620G for both planes upgrading it along the way.

Have to disagree slightly

My painting coach almost threw a little touch up un at me with the words "this is the best gun I have ever used"...This guy hs been painting for 20 years and does georgeous work, flames, shading you name it.

I looked at the gun and thought he's given me the wrong one...It was a Harbor Freight gun...NOOOO surely not.

Yup, I eventually bought the small touch up and the full size HF gun's (makes sure it says HVLP on the side) and a "gravity feed gun" that I used for primer.

This was my first painting project and averyone seems mighty impressed with the result...I just hope they are not being kind..>:)

But the finish is as good as my car!

The one thing the HF guns won't do is paint upside down so i do have some orange peel on the underside of the fuse...Like who cares? It really is very ligth anway.

So there you go, two sizes of guns for about $100 total.

Just a data point

Frank

I have one of these at work.

http://www.devilbiss.com/if_02_display.asp?prodid=EXL-620G&prodname=EXL HVLP GRAVITY Feed Spray Gun

It's very similar to the one your looking at. It's a very nice spray gun. It's also easy to clean and get spare parts for. You should also take a look at the 3M PPS paint cups. You can use them on almost any spray gun and they make general clean up super easy. They are also a big plus when it comes to paint the bottom side of the plane. Actually they work great when the spray gun is held at some weird angle. They won't drip. See more info here.http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Solutions/PPS/

:)

Back