What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question - Dynon in a RV-6A tip-up

az_gila

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any pictures of the instrument panel mounting modifications they did to put a large screen Dynon (D-180 in my case) in front of the pilot?

The left hand F-645 support is directly where the large hole needs to go for the big screen Dynon.

I presume I can cut away most of this support, and add some other kind of support angle in... I was just wondering what others have done...

....thanks for any input gil in Tucson

Gil,

Although a -9 Tip-up, it is about the same as your -6. Only I have a little bit more room between the panel and the sub-panel.

Check out the pictures on the panel page of my web site.

Hope that helps

Stiff enough?

Bill ... I see that what you did is essentially move it (the F-645) to the left by 3 or 4 inches to clear the Dynon.

Is it stiff enough attached to the sub panel here? It's original location has it tied to the F-646 in the fore-aft direction.

The sub-panel isn't really very stiff in the location you have mounted it too.... Not sure if anything else changed in this area on the -9s vs. the -6s...

gil in Tucson

Bill,
Nice airplane and pix. You're gonna love that throttle quadrant! I've got the same setup in my -6 and it's great. I had to trim the black knobs a bit for full stick deflection.
Aloha. Greg

Change of subject - re:Throttle Quadrant

I, too, also have that model quadrant in my 7a. An improvment I've been wanting to make is the insertion of some kind of switch contained within the hollowed out area of the power lever that allows me the control of my flaps. That way on approach my right arm will never have to leave the throttle. I've looked around off and on for something that might do the job and fit in there, but still am empty handed. Anyone else have thoughts on this ?

az_gila said:
Bill ... I see that what you did is essentially move it (the F-645) to the left by 3 or 4 inches to clear the Dynon.

Is it stiff enough attached to the sub panel here? It's original location has it tied to the F-646 in the fore-aft direction.

The sub-panel isn't really very stiff in the location you have mounted it too.... Not sure if anything else changed in this area on the -9s vs. the -6s...

gil in Tucson
Gil,

The panel seems stiff enough but remember, you are taking advice from a guy who hasn't flown yet.

In talking with the guys at Dynon about the installation their big issue is to keep the vibration down so you can read the thing. They are not worried about the vibration hurting the Dynon unit. (That is good to know)

By the time you get that top skin riveted on, it is fairly stiff there, more so when tied to the panel.

I did away with that rib all together. Works just fine and is plenty stiff. However I do have a thicker instrument panel ... the modular panel from Affordable Panels. No problems in 50 hrs so far.

img_8126.jpg

I moved the LH F-645 slightly to the centre to clear the tray for the D100. It doesn't line up with the fwd upper skin rib but it seems stiff enough. I'll find out when it flies!
Jim Sharkey
RV6 Tip-Up - last 10%?

Dynon in a 6A

Gil,

I did as you mentioned and found it was an easy mod. I'll get some pics to send you. I was hopeing to see you at CopperState but only got there on the Sat you were off the schedule. If you feel like taking a trip up to chandler, I'd be happy to have you look over my project. Lunch would be on me! I'm hoping to be ready to fly by march and I could use another set of eyes as I finalize things. I've appreciated your posts here, and respect your council. I think I've got you on the slow build record. I started in '94? I think.

Back