What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DRDT-2 Support Platform

MikeJ 7A

I have the DRDT-2 and am preparing to build the suggested support platform based on the drawing they provide.

Does anyone with experience using this tool have any suggested changes or improvements to the platform design.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated, or perhaps just building it as drawn is best?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Hi Mike,
I didnt build that platform. Instead, I built a workbench that has sliding tops on both sides of the DRDT2 that slide in and out as you need(for supporting deep skins) . I built a platform for the DRDT2 (attached to the structure) that is lower than the sliding surfaces so the the bottom die in the DRDT2 is slightly higher (maybe 1/8") than the sufaces.(I put carpet on the surfaces)
The structure is sort of a triangle (everything is mounted to the wall) with the top closest to your waist tapering down and away from you for the shape of the prebent skins. This has worked well so far, but all I have done is the HS and VS.
I realize that this bench is dedicated to just dimpling, but I had the room and went for it.
I was going to insert a pic, but cannot figure out how to reduce from 1.5 meg to 1 meg. Sorrry,
Hope this helps someone,
Jim

drdt platform

I built the platform pretty much as it was described and found it very useful. I have a small shop (2 car garage) so space is always limited and it is nice to be able to move the dimple tool and stand.

There were instances when I did not even use the platform for small jobs or if I had help holding a piece.

I used the drdt for the entire empenage, wings, and fuselage, but not very much anymore. I think I am at the stage where most of the riveting is finished and to tell you the truth I miss it. I really enjoyed the sheet metal work, I found it to be very rewarding. :)

Have fun.

Mike
wire, wire, wire, electrical work

DRDT -2 Multipurpose table

Mike,

I built the bigger version for the reason of wing skins and fuselage skins. Look at the picture below and then you can see the build process on my web site. Works great and like the sliding head for bigger skins. Enjoy and good luck.
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Build 2 seperate platforms like this:

http://www.ballofshame.com/flying/rv-7/buildLog/20051117.php

It lets you move things around the the tool is much more flexible. Remember to leave a lip on the fron of the platform so bent skins have enough clearance. I also put little plastic leveling feet on the platforms so I could get them the exact height of my dimple dies. Others have used washer under the die instead.

I built mine very close to the plans. So far it has worked well. I have a 2-car garage with the wings taking 1/2 of that space and 2 workbenches taking the rest of the space. This way I can just clamp the DRDT-2 to the workbenches and slide the small DRDT-2 platform in. When I am done with it, I can store everything away. I like the fact that I can move the platform to one side or the other when the sheets are long. That way they won't overhang the platform by much. Click here for pics

Back