What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JPI Instruments- EDM-900 Engine Monitor

RV6ARoger

After replacing my V-8 with an O-360 and a Hartzell CS prop, I realized that the unit had been pickled for quite a while. Needing to find out the health of the engine, I opted to get an engine monitoring computer so I could diagnose the engine properly. I originally opted for the Vision Microsystems VM-1000C. Due to their moving to a new location, Aircraft Spruce could not provide this. This led me to the EDM-900. This is a great unit, but the 930 is a little better unit, but it about $1,000 more. I opted, due to budgetary reasons, the 900 unit.

What I found is that the 900 is quite easy to install. The instructions are adequate, and the unit works very well. Parts are high quality an are the same parts as the STC'd units. I found a couple of small issues with the engine and the installation, so I feel the idea of installing this unit was well worth the cost. For around $2,200, you can barely purchase steam gauges, so for a new installation, I would strongly suggest that anyone currently building a new RV seriously consider this unit, the 930, or a similar unit. Going through the ordering process, there are a few things you need to know. I had a few issues getting things ordered, and they don't tell you much until you get the unit. Here is what I found.
1. Even though the JPI website and price list says that the small digital display is included, it is not for Experimentals-- Only STC'd units.
2. You have to check carefully which probes are included. Their price lists and documentation says stuff is included, but in many cases, they term that it is not. In addition to the base unit, I had to order in addition, the following:
A. Carb temp probe
B. fuel pressure transducer.

These two items added up to an additional $400 or more, so just be sure you know exactly what you are getting for your money. Get it all in writing, before committing. The unit is very good. Their sales info is not very clear and can be misleading.

JPI is dead to me

JPI has poor customer service and in fact if you call them under warranty for help or service they might sue you for harassment. :eek: :rolleyes:

(seriously thanks for the report, at least they have something reasonably priced, but the product is not the problem. Good Luck)

George, I started to say the same thing, but then saw the notation on the forum homepage about "vendor bashing". That said, you are 1000% correct. Customer support is almost nil with them.

Back