What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling side skins to aft fuselage

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
The instructions say to "drill all of the remaining holes (except for the ones for the F-706 bulkhead and the F-718 longerons) to final size.

Then it describes and order of riveting (after dburring etc) that says to rivet the botto skins to the bulkheads and J-channel, and to rivet the side skins to the bulkheadds up to the upper J-channel and to the jchannel itself but no higher.

That, to me, tells me to rivet those side skins all the way up to -- but not including -- the F706 bulkhead.

But if I do that --- and since I haven't been allowed to drill them to final size -- how will I dimple these holes once I HAVE drilled them to final size? The skins will be riveted on and there'll be no access to get a dimpler in there?

Bob
St. Paul

I'm not exactly sure which holes you're referring to.. so I may be off here..

You'll take out F-706 completely, and you'll be able to dimple all of the side/bottom skins etc.. so shouldn't be a problem. The idea is not to permanently attach 706 bulkhead yet.. so it can be removed later on for deburring/dimpling.

Also, skip (do not rivet) TWO forward-most holes in J-channels. (not just one that mates with 706)..

Back