What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice wanted: magnetic oil filter thing

hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
I've seen Aero-Mag advertised here. There are similar, even patented, automotive products at much lower prices. Do any of them work? Are there any drawbacks? Aero-Mag says it won't affect instruments. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Thanks.

hmmmmmm.......

Beware.... 1st of all .... The filter is there for a reason... and it does a great job. Not all of the particles in your oil... (should you be producing metal) will be magnetic.... so.... WHY do we want to add weight to the aircraft? The claim that it will not disturb instruments is relative to how close your whiskey compass is to the Magnetic particle trapper. I WOULD do another compass swing just to make sure that it does not change anything. Just my .02 worth.
Hope I helped shed some light on your decision
Brian Wallis
ps.. I'm always available for questions.. Although I may not be able to answer the phone during business hours as I work during the daytime.
404-405-1315

Last edited:
Aero Mag

Look at the Tempest Oil filters.......
they have a built in magnet!
along with other nice features and no extra charge.
I think there is a link on the front page today.

magnetic plugs

most new cars have magnetic drain plugs. evertime i have ever removed one they had a fair amount of fuzz on them.(graphite like). my concern would be what if someone removed them while trying to gain access to another engine component without removing the filter. the all your sediment would fall free (probally minimal and on the upstream side of the filter) i think they could provide a benifit but would this confuse your oil annalysis? (removing all the iron for the most part.)

Bob Martin said:
Look at the Tempest Oil filters.......
they have a built in magnet!
along with other nice features and no extra charge.
I think there is a link on the front page today.

Anyone use Tempest Oil Filters? Can you recommend them?

Well there is no solid data, but it can't hurt?

I talked to them when the first came out a few years go. I asked questions and they where super nice. My complaint was the "testimonials" where weak and wanted to know what the before and after oil analysis look like. I wanted to see several 25 hour oil analysis in a row without the magnets and than after, to see if there was a drop in metal in the oil. You would expect the iron would drop out right? They asked if I wanted to test it. I decided not to be a bata tester. I think they have a money back deal anyway if you are not happy. It would be great to get some real data.

They have pictures of a filter cut open with magnetic particles holding on.
cutaway.jpg

Well if the magnets where not there the iron particles probably would be in the filter element, and may be some still in the oil. The implication is without the magnets the metal will travel back through the engine? Of course it will not catch the aluminum, copper or copper.

I guess it can't hurt. Many times I find aluminum or carbon (non magnetic) stuff in the filter but no chunks of iron metal. My feeling is it adds weight and cost money for questionable gain. I figure a spin on changed every 25 hours, it is good enough. However I can't think of it hurting. It would be great if some RV'ers would do a scientific oil analysis trend study.

Last edited:
Well, I decided to order 6 and see how they work. They are a few bucks cheaper than Champion, and they have a magnet.

Back