What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

396 as Backup

n5lp

fugio ergo sum
I finally got around to trying the Garmin 396 as a last resort backup today. From about 40 miles out from the airport I flew with sole reference to the 396.

I learned a few things.

I didn't realize, until now, how often I was losing 3D lock, but it was for only a few seconds at a time. The glideslope, rate-of-climb and altitude would disappear for a few seconds, but that was no great problem. I am using the attached antenna at a mid-panel location. I could, of course, use another antenna to eleminate the problem, but there are already a lot of wires. Garmin could really help us by developing an integrated XM and GPS antenna.

Flying the pseudo instruments in pretty strong light continuous turbulence was easily adjusted to and according to the safety pilot there were no large excursions, although I did miss having any sort of attitude instrument. As I approached pattern altitude, the 396 glideslope indication disappeared, as designed, and I looked up to find the airport directly ahead.

I think it is a nice and very feasible, last resort, backup instrument tool. That is all I would use this feature for though.

Back