What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aileron trim slipping

freegespeed

I own a nice little 6A which I didn't build, so all the little mechanical detail stuff is undiscovered country to me. My latest issue is with my manual airleron trim slipping at certain positions. If I move the lever a full 90 degrees it stays put but at 45 degrees it slips back to the neutral position.I never need the full trim setting, so I try for the 30 to 45 degree lever positions and it just won't stick.

I think this should be a pretty easy fix but I thought I would try to get some guidence first. Any help would be appreciated.

Should be an easy fix

If it's like the 7/9 trim, there is a bolt that runs through the plastic block that the handle passes through. You can tighten that bolt to adjust the friction on the handle. The problem is, you have to remove the floors to get to it. Once you have the floors removed it may be a good idea to poke around and see what the inside of your plane looks like. Good luck

Fixed my airleron trim

freegespeed said:
I own a nice little 6A which I didn't build, so all the little mechanical detail stuff is undiscovered country to me. My latest issue is with my manual airleron trim slipping at certain positions. If I move the lever a full 90 degrees it stays put but at 45 degrees it slips back to the neutral position.I never need the full trim setting, so I try for the 30 to 45 degree lever positions and it just won't stick.

I think this should be a pretty easy fix but I thought I would try to get some guidence first. Any help would be appreciated.

As a quick follow up, I used the advice given here, and from Van's, and fixed the sloppy play in the aileron trim. The only hard part was taking out all the screws in the seat pans and putting them back again after the job was done. The actual adjustment involved tightening up two bolts.

Thanks for the help.

How do you like it?

Just out of curiousity, how do you like the manual aileron trim? Is it easy to adjust, and is it effective? I'm planning to put it in my 9 instead of the electric.

The manual aileron trim works great. I've been flying my -6 with it since Van first offered it. I never have to move it more than about 20 degrees.
Mel...DAR

Back