What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Manual flap install plans

cjensen

Well Known Member
I have a set of manual flap weldments from a -6 (thanks Vern!) that I might use in my -7. What I don't have, though, is the page from the -6 manual that shows how it's installed.

Does anyone have something scanned, or email-able that would help me out?

I haven't fully decided on this yet, but I'd like to see how feasible it will be to put in the -7.

Thanks in advance!
:)

Plans

Chad, I have the preview plans for the manual flap installation on a 6. I could copy them and send them to you. I may be able to scan them if you are interested and send them as an attachment. I went with manual and of all the decisions I made it is about the only one that I would think of changing by going electric. The preview gives enough info to do the build.

That'd be perfect George! I'm not positive I'm going to do manual yet, but I want to take a good look at it when I get there.

Thanks! I sent a PM with address info.

Chad,
I much prefer manual flaps. However, I would make one modification recommendation. Van calls for 2 notches, 20 and 40 degrees. I changed this to 3 notches of 14, 27 and 40 degrees. Reason, I think that 20 degrees is too much for short field takeoff. The optimum takeoff flap is 15 degrees in my opinion. I've done a lot of testing for short field work. My strip is 1500' in Texas. I just made the 0 and 40 degree notch according to plans and divided by 3.

The weldment that I bought came with the ratchet mechanism. I haven't measured the angles yet, but it does already have three notches cut! :cool:

The 3 notches would be 0, 20, and 40 degrees. I would fabricate another one (it's a very simple piece). Or at least cut another notch at 12 or 15 degrees. I have made these mods for several of my customers.

Yeah, that makes sense now. I'll make another notch. Easy enough! Thanks for the tip Mel! :)

Back