What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Light Colored Primers?

Well Known Member
Can anyone provide a list of light colored primers? I have been using the SEM rattle can self etching primer because when I bought my partially complete tail kitb the seller threw in a case of it and had already used it to prime the tail parts.

I am coming to the end of my supply of SEM and would like to either keep using it or locate a supply of primer that is of light color.

I'm interested in spraying with a spray gun now rather than rattle cans. I know SEM can be had in non rattle can form. Are there other primers of a similar light gray color available? I have only been able to find referencea to AKZO in the standard green color. I think that the Stewart Eko primers are available in green but I don't know about light gray.

Anyone have any info? For whatever reason I am having a hard time locating info on primer colors. I like the idea of light colored primers because I feel that it will make inspections easier inside wings, etc. in the future.

I think that the Stewart Eko primers are available in green but I don't know about light gray.
I'm using Stewart Systems Ekoprime in white. It can be difficult to spray and look good, but then again, that might be an operator issue and not a paint issue. I kind of stink at spraypainting and have a hard time getting a good, even, solid finish. Sometimes I get lucky and it looks good (wing ribs). Other time it looks not so good (tailcone skins).

It's really making me consider hiring out the paint job on the exterior, even though I don't want to drop the cash...

Randolf Epibond epoxy primer is available white or green.
I used the white on a previous project.
BTW, the reducer is mostly Toulene and MEK, so you don't have to buy that from Randolf. Check the MSDS.

The old Epibond formulation was a bit better based on my experience. Not sure when they changed it, but the old recipe used Xylene for the reducer.

I'm using Akzo these days. (from Graco, who pack it very nicely with custom foam blocks, no more dented cans in peanuts! :))

I've used Martin Senour self etching primer in the rattle can. (NAPA 7220) It is gray in color and I've found it readily available at my local Napa parts store. I don't know if it's available in a regular can that you can spray yourself.

Stewart Systems makes Ecoprime in white or gray. It wasn't rugged enough for me so I moved on to Akzo like many others. There are other epoxy primers that are available in white or gray. I would suggest an epoxy primer for durability.

I see what you are saying about the light primer and I in fact started with the white primer because I liked the look of it. But... I think you will find as you move through your build that these light colored primers also get dirty very easily. Sand a piece of aluminum and then look at your hands. Then pick up a piece of material in white primer. Its a mess. The Akzo green hides a lot of dirt with the color. As would a darker gray.

When we start out on these projects we have certain ideas which actually are not accurate. As we build more we change our perspective.

This choice is totally up to you. Just my 2 cents.

Back