What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy question

N100WL

I'm New Here
Hello all

We were cutting our std canopy down for fit today. My question is, how far past Van's cut line you did you all have to go. We seem to be at 3/4" past Van's lines, front and back and still need to cut some more to get the canopy to sit on the roll over bar. Does that seem normal? We have been following the manual and have not cut the windscreen off yet. Also, how firm is the 3 1/4 spacing between the front of the windscreen and the aft bulkhead of the baggage compartment?

Thanks,
Wade Lively
-8, N100WL reserved

re: cutting canopy

N100WL said:
Hello all

We were cutting our std canopy down for fit today. My question is, how far past Van's cut line you did you all have to go. We seem to be at 3/4" past Van's lines, front and back and still need to cut some more to get the canopy to sit on the roll over bar. Does that seem normal? We have been following the manual and have not cut the windscreen off yet. Also, how firm is the 3 1/4 spacing between the front of the windscreen and the aft bulkhead of the baggage compartment?

Thanks,
Wade Lively
-8, N100WL reserved

Wade,
I recall trimming, and re-trimming. After making "the big cut" to separate the windscreen from the remainder of the canopy, things seemed to settle in nicely but there was yet more trimming. For trimming off very small amounts, a hand-held belt sander with 60 or 80 grit worked very well--quick yet controllable and without undulating edges. I stuck to the 3 1/4 spacing, so can't comment on what would happen if you didn't.
Good luck,
Mark

Back