What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Tungsten bucking bar

brian

Well Known Member
I have several steel bucking bars I've bought & made. I got a tungsten bucking bar from SteinAir a couple weeks ago. I used it a couple times, and used it quite a bit this past weekend. This thing is AWESOME. I seem to do much better, more consistent bucking with it. It's quite small and quite dense. It fits nicely into tight spaces, and it's very easy to hold and control.

This is how dense it is:

water = 1.00
steel = 7.93
lead = 11.35
gold = 19.29
tungsten = 19.62

So, it's about 2.5 times as heavy as steel. And it will never rust! I highly recommend it.

http://steinair.com/tools.htm

brian

I picked up one from Grov-Air a couple weeks ago when I attended a builder's class. The dimensions are a little different. The bar is about 1"x0.5"x3" with one end having about a 30 degree slant. It was much easier to use than the the standards bars I've seen from Avery.

The bar is about the same price as the one from Stein.

I have the same one that Bob has, but bought it from buckingbar.net. It is amazing the difference! I'm not sure I'll need any of my other bars from this point on! :cool:

I used Thermos' which he purchased from Dean at www.buckingbar.net also!

As soon as he left, I put a call into Dean and had it shipped IMMEDIATELY!

Of course, I had to because Thermos wouldn't let it outta his SIGHT!

He didn't even have a chance to use it yet and brought it down for me to try!

Thanks buddy!

I was a skeptic, being a yankee and all... but lemme tells ya...

I can't wait till I get mine!

Worth EVERY PENNY!

;) CJ

I bought one from Buckingbar.net. Finishing the empennage on my -10.
It's one of the most useful tools in my kit. Especially helpful in those areas where I can only get squeeze few fingers in to hold the bar against the rivet.

All the glowing reviews off these things that I have read makes me sorta wish I had a project goign so I could justify buying one! I guess for the next airplane....

rleffler said:
I picked up one from Grov-Air a couple weeks ago when I attended a builder's class. The dimensions are a little different. The bar is about 1"x0.5"x3" with one end having about a 30 degree slant. It was much easier to use than the the standards bars I've seen from Avery.

The bar is about the same price as the one from Stein.

I like the idea of the 30 degree slant. Where is this on the Grov-Air website? I couldn't find it.

Ironflight said:
All the glowing reviews off these things that I have read makes me sorta wish I had a project goign so I could justify buying one! I guess for the next airplane....

Paul,
I have an 8A in progress. Want to trade? :D I always like to help out when I get a chance.

apatti said:
I like the idea of the 30 degree slant. Where is this on the Grov-Air website? I couldn't find it.
Tony,

I didn't ask for mine with a 30 degree slant, Dean just did it for me. If you don't already have one, just ask that the slant be cut in to it when you order it.

cjensen said:
Tony,

I didn't ask for mine with a 30 degree slant, Dean just did it for me. If you don't already have one, just ask that the slant be cut in to it when you order it.

Thanks, Chad. I just called and left a message for Dean.

Angle cut

apatti said:
Thanks, Chad. I just called and left a message for Dean.

I got my bar from Dean, and after doing an exhaustive computer modeling study
of the angles the bar would have to reach, knuckle clearance while holding the bar, amount of mass at the rivet bucking point vs. loss of mass due to offset, I arrived at the optimal angle of 9 degrees 45 minutes, or 9 3/4 degrees!

(Actually, I just held it against the disc grinder and used the TLAR method!)

I think that 30 degrees moves the mass too far offset from where it's needed, JMHO.

apatti said:
It is apparently not listed there. I emailed them and got this reply:

Yes we have them in stock. They are $130.00. They are 4? long x 5/8? thick x 1? wide. These dimensions allow you to use this bar in almost any area. Let me know if you?d like me to send you one or if you live near enough to come by the shop to pick it up.

So, I guess you'd have to call them to order it. However, I had already ordered the one from buckingbar.net, which is same size, $120, and has "a slight angle on one end of the bar".

I have one and don't forsee using any of the bars that came in my tool kit, ever. Period. End of story!!

I did a build class with Troy (Grov-Air) and then had him assist with the first 35 hours or so on my HS etc. I bought a bar from him based on the class experience before even starting my kit.

Expensive yes, but worth it.

No angles on mine yet, bring on the grinder!!

grantcarruthers said:
I have one and don't forsee using any of the bars that came in my tool kit, ever. Period. End of story!!
I've drank the tungsten kool-aide too. Three rivets was all it took for all my skeptisim to transform into riveting nirvana.

Add me to the tungsten list

Dean at Webster Tools returned my call today about a bar. I already have a check on its way to him so he is sending me out a bar today. He said that the bars now have a 10 degree angle on them due to everyones feedback about adding an angle.

I'm still having difficulty with finding the right bar to help me set rivets properly so hopefully this bar will be what I need to get over the hump toward excellence.

I feel like I am in the middle on an infomercial. :D

Mine shipped today, too. Once it arrives, I expect to just point it at the rivet I want bucked and "Voila"!

tungsten bar

A while back, I was bucking in the uppermost part of my rudder, Not a lot of room, really cramped for space. I had my smallest bar in there and beat up my skins (was not a happy camper). I got a sweet deal on Ebay for a .80"x.80" x 2" tungsten bar. I've been using it for weeks now and for bucking in tighter areas there is nothing like it. It weighs a little more that twice what my smallest steel bucking bar weighs. The tungsten bar is less than half the size of my smallest steel bar. For bucking rivets in wide open areas I still like the comfort and control of a larger bar. ymmv :)

Back