What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Positioning System from aircraft extras

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed the "FPS" from Aircraft Extras? This is a different system that the one offered by Vans.

The "FPS plus" automatically sets the trim to a preprogramed position for each flap setting. It is pretty cool, but I have having some trouble figuring out how it should be wired. I have the schematic from Aircraft Extras, and I am studying it.

Is anyone else using it? Did you have difficulty wiring it? Any gotchas I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Tony

bump

I am bumping this because I am now installing this system, or attempting to. The documentation is the most confusing that I think I have ever seen. If I can't get any clearer guidance on its installation I think I will take it out and go with a much simpler approach.

Does anyone have a schematic that covers the installation of the FPS plus with the trim indicator relay and the anti accidental flap deployment relay? The documentation does not show all those things in one installation.

Yeah, I know that it has taken me 5 years to get from my original post to the actual installation :eek:

thats it

Yep, thats it. It looks really cool but very complex. I
have spent hours trying to figure out the installation. Perhaps I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but for the life of me I cannot figure out the installation.

I have installed it in my RV and absolutely love it. I have it with the automatic trim and has been wired and operating as advertised.

I did not install the anti accidental flap as I did not want to have that limitation.

There are a few things in my RV that if I was going to build again, I would for sure use the same setup. One is my GRT and the other is the FPS. Wiring can be a bit more work and you need to be a bit mindful where to install it in order to minimize the # of cables that goes to it. But it fail safe and other operation is just as advertised and in 300+ no trouble at all.

Last edited:
thanks for that info

Bavafa,

Thanks for that inspiration. I am very frustrated with the installation of the FPS and was close to removing it an moving on. The information you provided inspires me to spend a little more time working on it.

Do you have the "manual" switch on the stick and the "automatic" switch on the panel? (I have no idea why they describe the panel switch as "automatic")

Bavafa,

Thanks for that inspiration. I am very frustrated with the installation of the FPS and was close to removing it an moving on. The information you provided inspires me to spend a little more time working on it.

Do you have the "manual" switch on the stick and the "automatic" switch on the panel? (I have no idea why they describe the panel switch as "automatic")

Tony,
I share/sympathize your frustration. I was there but glad did not give up.

I do have the manual over ride switch for the flap and the trim on my stick.

Feel free to give me a call and I will be happy to discuss ways that might cut a bit of frustration out of your install. I will try to find wiring diagrams if I have it. But I know I kept the wiring diagram for the stick which is one of the trick area and will help you with it, if have not resolved it yet.

I can be reached at 530-417-5713

Just recently fitted the FPS with the accidental deployment sensor but not with the auto trim. A little confusing at first but if you take a little time in a quiet place and read over everything 2 or 3 times it starts to make sense.
I agree with the above comment, give Rich a call or email, he is great to deal with and should be able to walk you through in sticking points.

Thanks

Thanks to all of you who have provided input, especially Bavafa who was kind enough to spend time on the phone with me helping me understand his installation.

I did get in touch with Rich who is being very helpful. I discovered that my unit is an older model which is a bit different that the current model so the instructions on the aircraft extras website does not apply to my unit. That of course caused some issues :confused:

I am taking it slowly and following the correct instructions that Rich sent me.

Thanks again.

Good people

Rich at Aircraft Extras and FPS is very helpful. I managed to fry my system (not an RV) and they repaired it free of charge. 10 minutes on the phone with Rich and he had me heading in the right direction on wiring the unit properly. I love it and it works great...just as advertised. Very easy to program.

Back