What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 down in Saskatchewan C-GGYT/N504JT

Snowflake

Sidney, BC, Canada
Sponsor
I did a quick search and didn't find this posted already, but we lost a fellow RV pilot on the weekend. Mike Chyzyk, from Corman Air Park, SK, died when his RV-4 crashed near Sylvan Lake, AB. No word on cause, but the photo in the attached news story seems to show the airframe relatively intact. The TSB is investigating.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2687492/saskatchewan-man-dies-in-plane-crash-near-sylvan-lake/

Note that the news has his name spelled wrong, it took quite a while to figure out who it was and what airplane it was. I know the name is familiar, but I still don't know why. There is a Mike Chysyk here on VAF but the site only reports he ever made a couple of posts. The RV-4 appears to be serial number 799, built by Jake Thiessen as N504JT in 1988, then had another owner (or two?) before being imported to Canada in 2010 as C-GGYT.

Last edited:
My cousin

Hi Rob ,
Marc Thomson here . The guy you met in Langley on my big transcon tour . Mike Chysyk was a distant cousin but one I was closest to because of our shared passions for aviation . I just found out an hour ago and came to VAF to see if there was any news other than the very sparse info in the news .
I'm rather stunned right now . Really liked Mike .
Marc

RV-4 down in Alberta

I did a quick search and didn't find this posted already, but we lost a fellow RV pilot on the weekend. Mike Chyzyk, from Corman Air Park, SK, died when his RV-4 crashed near Sylvan, SK. No word on cause, but the photo in the attached news story seems to show the airframe relatively intact. The TSB is investigating.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2687492/saskatchewan-man-dies-in-plane-crash-near-sylvan-lake/

Note that the news has his name spelled wrong, it took quite a while to figure out who it was and what airplane it was. I know the name is familiar, but I still don't know why. There is a Mike Chysyk here on VAF but the site only reports he ever made a couple of posts. The RV-4 appears to be serial number 799, built by Jake Thiessen as N504JT in 1988, then had another owner (or two?) before being imported to Canada in 2010 as C-GGYT.

This crash happened west of Sylvan Lake, Alberta (not in Sask.), maybe 10 miles north west of where I practice forced approaches. Sad to hear of this, rest in peace, condolences to family and friends.

Marc Thomson here . The guy you met in Langley on my big transcon tour . Mike Chysyk was a distant cousin but one I was closest to because of our shared passions for aviation . I just found out an hour ago and came to VAF to see if there was any news other than the very sparse info in the news.
My condolences, Marc. You must have mentioned him when you were out here, maybe that's where I know the name from. I'm sorry for your loss.

Sad news. I saw the story on the local TV news, and thought that the picture briefly displayed on screen looked like an RV. Hadn't seen any followup stories, and hadn't been on the forum here since. I didn't know the pilot, but I have no doubt I know people who did; fairly small experimental community here in Saskatchewan. Couple of members on here who fly out of Saskatoon who would likely have known him, actually, although quite a few of the experimental guys are based north of the city at Martensville rather than south at Corman Park. Again, sad news.

Back